Chapter 25

Luke didn't know how to tell Ashton. He's never had to necessarily do this kind of thing before. He had texted him, telling him that he wanted to talk to him and to meet him at Edwin's ice cream at 8:30, but Ashton hadn't responded or read it. He didn't want to wait for it because he was nervous. He wanted Ashton to text him right away and tell him 'okay, I'll be there' or something to that effect.

Michael hadn't texted Luke since and Luke didn't want to bother him by asking what the hell he should do or say to him in order to tell him. He didn't feel like that would be appropriate since they weren't on the best of terms. So, he was going to wing it. Probably make a complete ass of himself, but he was going to wing it.

After another few minutes of agonizing waiting, Luke decided to take his mind off of it and log onto Youtube. Usually, Connor or Troye or Joe or Caspar would calm him down. They would make time go by faster. Luke went to his subscriptions and clicked on a random name (that name being Joe Sugg) and clicked on the WHAT DID YOU SEND US?! video, figuring the entertainment of Joe and Caspar opening fanmail would calm his nerves.

He got through all of the fanmail videos and then checked his phone, hoping that he was too distracted by Joe and Caspar's laughing and tom foolery to have heard his phone go off. But when he clicked on the iPhone, his lock screen only showed the picture of him and Michael on Halloween last year. He felt a twinge of panic, hoping that Ashton would hurry the hell up and respond. The time was only eight, so hopefully Ashton would just show up there.

Luke grabbed his wallet and keys and snuck down the stairs and out the door to start heading to Edwin's. He wouldn't hear the phone if he was driving since he would have the radio on and be too focused on the road to care. Plus, by the time he was going to get there, it was going to be close to being 8:30 and Ashton would hopefully just be there waiting for him.

Since Luke didn't live too far from Edwin's, he took the long way there, going through the residential neighborhoods instead of the main road. It would double his time getting there and it would also give Luke more time to calm himself down.

Being it was so late at night, Edwin's wasn't going to be that busy and it would be easy for Ashton to find Luke or vice versa. He looked down at the car radio, seeing that it 4 minutes to and figured he better get to Edwin's before Ashton did since Luke was the one that initiated the meeting.

He parked in the place next to the door and walked into the mostly empty ice cream shop. There was only one other elderly couple in there and the employees. No Ashton.

"Can I help you, sir?" the employee behind the counter asked Luke.

"Um, yeah. Can I have a small cookies 'n cream bowl?" Luke asked, continuing to glance around for Ashton or Ashton's car.

The employee told him his total and Luke paid him, backing up to the wall as he waited for his ice cream to be made. He checked his phone, hoping that Ashton had at least seen his text.

There wasn't a response, so Luke unlocked it and went to the message app, and Ashton had seen the message! That meant he was probably on his way and Luke could get this off of his chest.

"Small cookies 'n cream bowl?" a different employee asked, sliding the bowl across the counter to Luke.

Luke grabbed it and took the corner two person booth, sitting on the side that faced the door. He ate his ice cream slowly, wanting something to occupy him while he talked to Ashton. Just to help his overactive nerves.

----

"Sir, we're going to be closing in a half hour," the manager, Lillian, said.

Luke was now all alone in the ice cream shop. The elderly couple had left about five minutes after he'd sat down and that was an hour ago. It was 9:30 and there was no sign or response from Ashton. Luke had been stood up. He at least thought that Ashton would have the wherewithal to at least tell him that he couldn't make it or that he was running late or just some excuse so Luke wouldn't have to waste his time. But no, he didn't.

Liz had called Luke, frantic as to where he had snuck off to. He told her that his friend was having some issues with some things and not to worry. He knew that she would ask him if everything was okay, especially since he was gone a hell of a lot longer than he thought he would be. But that was Ashton's fault.

He didn't know if he should continue waiting for him or if he should just get up and leave, making Ashton think that Luke stood him up. There was two sides to him in this situation and he
didn't know which one was the better choice.

"What's got you hanging around here all by yourself, son?" the older woman employee asked.

"Just waiting for a friend," Luke shrugged.

"You've been here an awfully long time. When were you supposed to meet them?" she wondered.

"Eight-thirty," he said quietly, avoiding the sweet old lady's eyes.

She was quiet for a minute and then put her soft hand gently on Luke's. "I don't think they're coming, dear. Was it something important you needed to talk about or was it one of those blasted internet dating meets?"

Luke sighed and decided that he needed to talk to someone right then and there, so he told her everything. He told her about everything (minus certain details about the party) and then what he had even come to talk to him about. She listened and didn't seem like she was disgusted in Luke or anything. She was actually quite understanding of everything.

"I wouldn't say he's angry with you from what you've told me. Maybe he has something going on at home? I wouldn't jump to any terrible conclusions just yet. Wait for him to tell you what happened. Maybe he was in the middle of something when he got your text and forgot to respond. I know that my son does that quite a bit," she said. "Don't worry about it, dear. Everything will work itself out."

"I hope you're right. I really do like him and I don't want him to be mad at me for anything," Luke told her.

"You'll be alright. I think the best thing for you is to go home and go to sleep for the night and then deal with this boy at school. You're pretty nervous about telling him this and about him standing you up. Sleep is the best medicine for you," she said with a small smile.

Luke returned it, thankful that the woman was around to somewhat calm his nerves. "Thanks, erm..."

"Joyce."

"Thanks, Joyce. It feels good to tell somebody this. I needed to let it all out," Luke admitted.

"I'm glad I was here to listen. You're a nice boy. I hope all goes well for you," Joyce smiled.

"Now, I better get back to work before I lose my job. Sleep well, Luke."

"Thanks, Joyce. Have a good night," he smiled.

The two got up from the booth and went their separate ways. He threw the empty styrofoam bowl into the trash can and smiled at Joyce again before he left. He went outside and was surprised there wasn't much traffic, but then again, it was nearly 10:00.

Once he was in his car, he opened his phone and went into his text messages, composing one to Ashton.

To: Ashton Irwin

Are you okay?

----

5 Chapters + epilogue left! :(

Thoughts on Ashton standing Luke up?

Thoughts on Joyce?

Sorry if this chapter sucks. It'll get better next chapter. My head hurts and I can't focus really. Plus my mom is being a jackass as per usual. So yeah.

If you want to see what I was for Halloween, check out my Instagram!

Have a good night/day!

Social Media:

Instagram- @irwin_hemmo_styles15

Twitter- @Hemmo96_Ash94

Tumblr- @irwinstyles15

AO3- @xdistorted_cliffordx