Chapter Two: Entrance to Stardom

Start bij het begin

Larry paused, thinking. "There was no doubt about it Lola. See, all these other girls could sing, but there was nothing distinctive about them. We weren't looking for a young, undiscovered artist who posted covers because she thought she could sing and was a great player. In fact, your two year and three month absence from YouTube convinced us more than anything that you deserve this more than all of those other girls. You seek you didn't know you were good, you just loved music. That drive and absence convinced us that even though your life took a turn for the worst, you still had it in you to sing and when we looked into you a little more, we discovered from those who've known you for quite a while that you're a music fanatic. I mean, those videos of you playing piano in church - wow." I smiled as I pictured Reverend Thomas showing Larry the VCR's of me playing The Fray's How to Save a Life at endless charity events. It was bizarre to think that something that happened two years ago was catching up with the present.

Was this too good to be true? Yes. But was it true? Yes, again.

I sat upright in curiosity and wondered wether I should attempt to wake myself up from this dream or not. I'd always seen this in movies - like Groundhog Day rip offs, where characters try and wake from their craziest dreams. But up until now I hadn't understood the urge to slap yourself silly. Only, I didn't want to wake up from this dream. So I didn't bother to slap myself. Instead, I just tried to simply inhale it all with a calm and relaxed manner, but it wasn't going to be that easy, and I knew it all too well.

"How-come... how-"

I was interrupted by Imogen who wandered over to us, bringing over two smoothies with alternating straws. Mine was orange, lemon and lime and Larry's was strawberry with banana. Imogen winked at me reassuringly and walked off steadily with the silver tray. She seemed sincerely happy for me which was an utter relief because there weren't many people that believed in my ability. I was just a 'Diner girl'. I didn't have a proper name or a position in authority. I was the lowest of the lows, at the bottom of the social ladder and hierarchy, and this position was literally inevitable.

But maybe that would change. Just maybe.

"This weekend me and my team are heading to LA to produce an album listed as 'New Face In Fame'. We'd be honoured if we used some of your covers for the album and perhaps some of your own material which was posted too. How does that sound?"

It still hadn't sunk in, the sudden spout of luck leading me into this crazy illusion.

"That sounds great. Yes - yes I'd love to!"

As I said this I felt something tugging lightly at my arm. I turned to see an uncomfortable looking Aaron, and for him, that was usual. This was the same Aaron who happened to be my very best friend. He wasn't just one of our most popular regulars, but he used to work at Maxwell's. However, he quit about a year ago to help his older brothers take care of the family farm - the traditional family business which his parents would have wanted the three of them to do to keep the family together.

That's the only thing Aaron had wanted to do since a young age - continue the family business. I admired him for that - for keeping his parents alive by sticking to who he is and what he has believed in, what he did believe in when they were alive.

My mother was never around to see me growing up and since her death, my father had been extremely unattached from me. It's almost as if I was invisible. He barely said two words to me a day. I had to say... it was lonely. However, before she died we were extremely close, as close as a father and daughter can be. We were best friends, until we lost my mother. Then I eventually lost him.

"One second Larry!" I exclaimed turning away the bundle of light opposite me. He smiled even though he acknowledged that something was clearly wrong with Aaron. His cheesy grin was believable. Right.

I escorted Aaron away from the table, giving him an appreciative look for sticking with me through all of those years. "Aaron, what's wrong?" I pointed back to the table, "That's Larry Matthams, he wants to sign me Aaron! As an artist. Can you actually believe it?"

He gave me an 'are you serious Lola?' look like the one he'd given me when I told him my mother had passed away. A woman who was extremely close to him. "What are you doing with Larry Matthams Lola? Shouldn't that douche be in prison?"

I recoiled, "What do you mean Aaron? Why would Larry Matthams be wanted in prison?" That sure was an odd reaction, even odder than mine when Larry told me about LA.

"Do you remember when we hired those farm workers over the Christmas period?" I nodded, "We'll, one of the two guys, the burly ones, called Tim told me this really messed up story about him. Apparently he's a first class con-artist. Take my advice, I wouldn't trust him Lola."

I shook my head, "I'm sure you just imagined it, either that or-or a part of you is just jealous because I have found my big break and you haven't found yours yet." With that, I tried to walk away but instead a stone hard grip yanked me back, his gaze boring into mine. His dark eyes were finally beginning to make sense.

"Please Lola, don't trust him."

I hadn't meant to say it so harshly - especially since I admire him so much for what he does to protect his family. It just sort of came out, as if it was a thought that my dark side was considering, wondering about and hoping wasn't valid. Eventually, I shook my head and paced away from him. "Aaron, I trust you more than anyone, but I-I think you could be wrong this time..."

Aaron didn't do anything else but raised his hands in the air, stepping away from me. His brown eyes resembled those of his mothers and reminded me of how much she would surely despise me for what I'd just said to her son. His hair was similar to hers as well - brown and messy, like a forest guided by silver streaks of blonde. I took in this picture of him and took another step away, detesting myself for being so mean to one of the people who I truly care about, and I believe cared about me too.

I trusted Aaron, so why was I ignoring him, neglecting his thoughts and abandoning him? Perhaps I was too dedicated to fight for the dream. This crazy, unreal, hectic dream wasn't just for my benefit- no, it was mainly for Aaron's and my father. Just thinking of the money I could offer his family farming establishment would truly make a change to his life. I often helped him with the animals and I enjoyed it too. I just wanted to see Aaron happy, so that he could laugh the way he did when we were five, just before both of our mothers died. I wanted him to find himself again. I just didn't want to trust some inaccurate secondary information. Larry wasn't a phoney, he couldn't be...

He wasn't.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Questions to think about/answer in the comments section:

{what is it you like about Lola's character?}

{what do you think of Larry - is he a phoney like Aaron says?}

{what do you think of Aaron as Lola's best friend - is he protective or just jealous?}

VOTE/COMMENT/FOLLOW! <3