The Locker Room: Chapter Three: Picture of Val

Start from the beginning

            "Of course I remember your locker over here," I said, and taking a step back to lean against my locker. Meanwhile, Miley opened her locker.

            "Jenny told me to tell you that she wants to see you after school no matter what. Also, this Friday you are having a sleep over again. We are thinking of planning out the plan for you know what," said Miley.

            She closed her locker with a bang and turned to face me.

            "I've been thinking about that lately," I said, and it was the truth.

            Late at night, when I couldn't sleep, I would think of the plan. Now, after everything that has happened, I didn't think it was impossible anymore. Yet, that little voice in the back of my head always asked me if it was the right thing or not. At the same time I always thought of the saying, curiosity kills the cat. Maybe it was better to just drop the whole thing and move on. Yet, I knew the rest of the gang wouldn't go with that. Yes, I did want to be part of this plan. Yes, I did want to know what the guys were always talking about in the locker room. But yet, I couldn't help but wonder if it was the right thing or not.

            "Come on let's go met the rest of the girls," said Miley.

            I pushed off of my locker and walked on the right side of Miley. We were in step and we down a few hallways. Until we reached the middle of the school and sure enough there were Dana and Val there waiting for us. I felt a pang in my heart, because I didn't see Jenny. Not that I was expecting her or anything, but still. I walked over there and we stood in a little circle.

            "Happy birthday Audrey," said Dana and Val at the same time, and they gave me a hug. I hugged them back.

            "Oh and here is your gift. Remember it's from all of us, Jenny included," said Val while handing me a light blue box.

            I have seen this little light blue box a ton of times. Yet, I have never received one. Yes, it was a Tiffany's box. I couldn't believe that my friends got me something so expensive. Now, what am I suppose to get them for their birthdays? I let that thought slide out of my head, while I took the box. I didn't want to open it. Just the box was perfect. Perfectly wrapped. Perfect color. Perfect bow. I knew if I didn't open it, one of my friends would. I carefully and slowly unwrapped the bow. Then I opened the box. I gasped when I saw it. A few people who were walking past us gave me a weird look, but kept walking on.

            Okay, so inside was a bracelet. It was actually a silver charm bracelet. There wasn't just one charm on there, but four charms on there. I picked it up of the box and took a closer look at it. There was a heart charm on there, and engraved there was a little quote. The quote said, "Best Friends: it's not a label, it's a promise." At the very bottom of the heart I could see the name Jen. I wanted to cry after I read that. At that second I knew we would be best friends forever, just by the quote. I have no idea where she heard it before or came up with it herself.

            I looked at my friends, with tears in my eyes and noticed that they were watching me. I smiled.

            "Guys, before I go on, I have to say thank you," I said. Then I noticed something. Val was tapping me with her camera. "Damn it, Val, do you have to be tapping me in my school uniform?" The girls laughed.

            "Sorry, Audrey, but this is for Jenny," said Val.

            "Okay, since it's for Jenny," I said while smiling. Then I went back to the bracelet.

            The next charm on the bracelet was a silver purse. I turned it to the back and there was another quote engraved. This time it said something completely different, "A brunette and a blonde with an inseparable bond." I didn't have to look at the bottom to see who came up with that quote. I already knew it had to be Val. Val was only the real true brunette in the gang, and I was the true blond. I smiled at it.

            "Val thanks. I love the quote!" I said. Val smiled, and I swear I just made her day.

            I went to the next charm on my bracelet. The next one was a book. I have no idea why they would put a book on the bracelet, but once I read the quote and saw who came up with it. It all clicked. This quote said, "We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun." The book symbolized all the memorized we had together. I also knew who were always the person with the camera and the person that actually did have a book of memories for us. That person would be Dana. She got obsessed with scrap booking when she noticed that she could let her creativity run wild. I turned to Dana and smiled. She smiled back, but raised her hand and gave me the motion to keep going.

            They really wanted me to finish up the bracelet. Good thing we all actually got to school early, or else I wouldn't have time to actually finish it until after school.

            I got to the last charm and it was a flower. It was very simple and so much like Miley. I looked on the back for the quote. Sure enough there was one. "Some people make your laugh a little louder, your smile a little brighter, and your life a little better." I smiled at that, and it was so true. These girls made my fucking life. If I didn't have them, my life would be a living hell. I put the bracelet on and then turned to face the camera. I put my eyes straight at the camera. There were still tears in my eyes, but I blinked them back.

            "First, off thank you all for getting me this gift, you didn't have to and it probably cost more than you guys have," I said. "Jenny, I will always be your best friend, even through this school separation stuff. Val we clicked right away, even though we should be having a war which hair is better."

            "Brunettes are smarter!" yelled Val behind the camera. I smiled, but came up with a come back right away.

            "Blonds have more fun," I said while smiling. Yet, I continued on my speech like that didn't even happen. "Dana I hope you keep up with that book of memories. I want to see it before we all go off to college, make sure you finish it! Miley, I'm a little confused by your quote. All the other quotes are about me and someone else individual, but your quote sums it up. Is it because you always like to make conclusions with everything?" I asked while taking a quick look at her.

            "Yes," she said. I smiled.

            "Alright, Val, I'm done with my speech. Thanks again!" I said into the camera.

            Val turned off her camera. I hugged all my friends. We stayed like that with tears steaming down my cheeks. I tried wiping them away, but they would just appear again. Finally, the two minute warning bell went off. We all parted and went our separate ways to our first period class of senior year.