Mis-Education

Human rights state that everyone is entitled to an education. However is it really an education if we learn something for a test that we will forget after it? Is that the education that they want us to have nowadays? One can tell that there must be something wrong when there are fourteen year olds with anxiety issues, wanting to kill themselves due to the amount of stress, and the administration still believes teachers should be stricter and give out more homework. Keeping in mind that, in 1905, Roberto Nevilis created homework as a punishment to his students, is that fair to students? Things like these really make one wonder if any of this is going to be useful again... Maybe if we had more class discussions, instead of factual classes, we could learn something new. Maybe if Socratic questioning was used in classes, maybe, we'd understand why any of this is necessary. Schools are designed to be conservative, to not offend any students, but shouldn't education shake one's foundations? Instead education chose to knock the whole house down. Education should be life changing, everything that you learn should stick in your mind, but after retaining so much information, we forget what the meaning of it was.

Strictness is not the answer! And neither is class control. We need those clear reminders that everyone out there makes it, as McCullough said, "You are not special," the American Dream is corrupted by billionaires that are so poor all they have is money. We don't need classes where everyone learns the same things, because they are meant to accomplish the same things. We need more laid back classes where students get to prove what they're worth. Discussion should be encouraged, so should equality/ Everyone should be listened to, and teachers should not stick their opinions down our throats. We need to know more than the 'American' point of view. We need an education that praises more the debaters than the football team. An education where they teach us to love wisdom and glorify the thinkers.

Nowadays, American high school students have the same anxiety levels as mental patients in the 90s, and yet administrators brag that everyone has anxiety. Is that even okay? Maybe if they'd be less stressed, therefore happier. Then why make education stricter, if it's not going to make it any healthier? Educators should students in the right path, not lead them towards a dark alley.