C h a p t e r 4 : Self identification

"Excuse me miss, do you know where... oh Mia sama! Long time no seen!"
When Mia turn around she saw one of her friends. She was more of Yui's friends, but somehow, they turn to be good friends too.
"Hey, Saiko. What are you doing here?" Asked Mia, it was a late nigh evening, and the two met up in the library.
"Oh I'm here for a meeting with my friends, how are you?" Asked Saiko.
"Fine fine, you?" asked Mia.
"Me too. Oh I have to tell you about-" -"Saiko! Where are you!" A males' voice cut her down.
"I'm coming!" She screamed back.
"Okay, see you around, bye!" Yelled Saiko and run away. She was talking with a boy who had a white and black hair, and somehow, he just won't stop look at Mia.
Mia felt discomfort, maybe it's her boyfriend, Even though it's hard to imagine Saiko with a boyfriend.
Mia took a book and left the place.
The book was about ghoul organs. She felt she have to know the answers.
It was a late night hour, and she still was siting and reading about the organs. She discovered so much about the enzyme which only ghouls had, but somehow, it's just doesn't work together.
If she was a ghoul, how could it be she can eat human's food?

"Mia chan! I have to tell you something!" Said the blonde ghoul. Her face was so pink and her eyes spark. Mia wished she could look like this too.
"Misaki senpai asked me out!" She said in enthusiasm.
"That's great... but... who is it?" asked Mia. Yui's smile dropped dead.
"Haven't I told you? He was a friend of mine for long time" Yui smiled again. "His so handsome, I wish everything will go well" she said, her voice higher than usual.
Yui looked so perfect, it's sure suitable to her to have a boyfriend. However, Mia couldn't imagine herself with someone. Who would like her? She look like a dead body.
Mia chuckled to her thoughts, she didn't felt sorry for herself at all, it even was a bit funny.
"Are you laughing at me, Mia chan?" she asked worriedly.
"Not at all, I'm really happy for you" Mia smiled, putting one piece of her light hair behind the ear.
"Mia chan... are you crying?" Asked Yui.
"What? No... why would I..." Mia said but stopped when she felt something wet on her cheek.
She touched the tear with the tips of her fingers.
She was crying. But why?
"I'm...I'm okay... really... I just need to rest..." Mia said and turn around.
"See you later" she said before getting out of Yui's apartment.
"Mia chan..." Yui whispered sadly.
"Why am I crying?" she asked her self-aloud when she reached her apartment door.
She took out the keys, but when she put them in the door hole, a males' voice was heard.
"Miss?".

"Yes, of course, I'm sorry, I don't know why was I crying. So why are you here again , Sasaki chan?" Mia asked and put out a cup with coffee on the table.
"Thank you, hmm right, I wanted to talk with you. You can call me Haise, by the way" He smiled softly and took a sip of the coffee.
"Are you a ghoul, Mia chan?" He asked all of a sudden.
Due to his outfit, he wasn't a ghoul .
Mia bit her lip and nodded lightly.
"You don't need to be scared, Mia chan. I have no intention to harm you" He said. "Did you born as a ghoul?" he asked.
"Not really. Two years ago, I was kidnapped. I was tortured and analyzed. This way I became an artificial ghoul." She said, her voice quiet and slow.
"I see. So you eating meat and hunt down people, Am I wrong?" He asked.
Mia didn't dare to look him in the eyes. Her own eyes started to water.
"N-no. You won't believe me, but I can eat Human's food. I don't hunt people, I eat only the ones who died already. I-I didn't w-want to become w-what I am t-today. I-I was a h-human, s-so I don't hurt them.
I-I don't want this" she sobbed and cried out.
"I didn't choose this! I had everything I wanted!" She said as her tears staring to fall down.
"It's fine, Mia chan. Don't feel sad-" - "How can I not be sad! No matter how my life will look, I can't be who I was! " She yelled out, anger taking its place.
"Mia chan come down-" - "So why I can eat food? Am I wrong even as a ghoul?"
"Mia chan, you're not a ghoul." He said. Mia's eyes went wider.
"Are you trying to drive me insane?" She asked in a husky voice.
"Haha- of course no. You are like me. You are an Quinx."
His voice was calm yet a bit worried.
"Q-qunix?" She asked.
"Yes. We are commonly mistaken for ghouls and half ghouls, but we are not. We can eat humans food, however, a fresh meat can be hypnotizing too. When you eat humans meat, both your eyes are red?"
"I thought I was one eyed..." She said, trying to understand the information she just heard.
"Haven't you seen your eye is more grey that black?" He asked.
"I never really paid attention..." Mia said, touching her eye.
How could it be?
"But you are a ghoul Investigator..." She said, confused.
"I know, but you need to understand, we more like humans. We don't kill who ever we want, we kill only for justice" He said smiling.
Mia sat there, quietly. Her eyes are wide opened, but her mouth is closed. All this time, she was something she didn't know.
"How did you know" She asked, all of a sudden.
"Excuse me?" he asked.
"How did you know... I was..." - "You have a strong smell. You're not a human, however, you're not a ghoul." Said Haise.
Smell?
So how didn't Her best friend, Yui, smelled it?
It was too much for Mia to handle. She was quite, not daring to say another word. She wanted someone to kick the door of her apartment, and say that it's bullshit, and everything is okay.
"I don't want you to decide so hasty, so call me when ever you feel ready" Said Haise and got up.
"W-what" she barely could talk.
"About joining me silly" He said with a smile and disappeared into the cool evening night.
Mia sat there, unable to digest what just happened.
Only god knows if she can trust him, maybe he is insane and talking shit. But who knows...
In this world, everybody is insane.

"Mia chan!! Open the door!" A loud voice woke her up.
"Mia chan!" It kept saying.
She opened the door and said "Yui sama... it's 2 in the morning..." But Yui just ignored her words and jumped in.
"He was so cute! And his hair was so soft! You should meet him too, Mia chan!"She smiled wildly.
"Mia chan? Are you okay? You look pretty...exhausted." Said Yui suddenly.
"Maybe because it's so late?" Mia asked, sarcasm in her voice.
"No no, not like that. Is everything is okay?" She asked, her voice is curious.
"Yes, nothing you need to worry about" Mia said and smiled.
She was tired, she wasn't lying, but she did felt a bit sick because of all the information she got 6 hours ago.
"How was it?" Mia asked, trying to sound as normal as she could.
"Hoo... it was amazing. He is so confidant and calm with himself." She said, a tiny blush appeared onto her cheeks.
"Where did you guys go?" Mia asked.
"Well, I thought we will go to see a movie, but he was hungry so we ate" She explained.
"Ate? What do you mean?" Mia asked.
"You know... hunt..." Yui finally said what she didn't want to admit.
"Yui... it's so unlike you" Said Mia, her voice showing how much disappointment she felt.
"I know... but it was only one! I swear!" She said immediately.
Nobody could ever affect Yui to hunt and kill an innocent person. How come he managed to do it?