"We're y'all running away together?"

At this he made a face, "yes and no...we hit the road together but she was trying to go to California...I was headed somewhere else."

I understood. "Makes sense...okay, is Mariah your mate?"

"No!"

I was shocked, I had expected him to say yes.

I remained silent and pondered his answer...I as so damn sure he would have said yes, I mean their chemistry was electric, even I could feel it and I was a little out of it that night.

Then I took note of the way he answered, it was sharp, quick...angry, he wanted me to quit with the questions.

Then it clicked, he mentioned he didn't know how she was doing, he also brought up that she was going to California, to her he was a means of leaving town...she's a human so she doesn't know about mates or werewolves...she must've left him after he could no longer help her.

I looked at him, I proceeded with caution.

"One last question?"

"Elise." He grumbled.

"I promise, last one...and I want you to be honest because, well, it's not like I'm gonna go around telling anybody and the way I see it is, she's one of my best friends and I deserve to know the truth...and you clearly need to talk about it."

He looked over at me, his brow pulled together. "I don't have to tell you shit Elise."

He had basically just given me my answer with his defensiveness.

"Last question, and you're going to tell me because you've wanted nothing more than to talk about it since it happened, but you haven't been able to without worrying about what people will think...well reality check Patrick, I already don't like you very much just like you don't care for me, so last question-"

"Just ask your damn question already, you're starting to sound like a broken record."

I hid the smile that pulled at my cheeks.

"Fine, why isn't Mariah your mate?"

"That isn't a yes or no question." He pointed out.

"The yes or no alternative is too harsh."

"Just ask it Elise." He growled.

A tinge of jealousy filled me as it was a reminder that I no longer had my wolf. "Did Mariah reject you?"

Silence filled his car as he refused to answer my question, and I knew better than to push him further than I already had.

We were getting closer to the hospital now.

"It's Complicated." He finally sounded.

"Hmm?" I sounded as I peeled myself away from the passing scenery outside of my window.

"That night, after I brought you to our aunt's house...she knew something was off, and I couldn't lie to her, she'd basically pieced everything together anyways." He said more to himself. "Anyways, she was hellbent on leaving and I couldn't stop her...she essentially rejected me." He confessed softly.

A small lump in my throat began to form.

I hadn't really ever liked Patrick before, he was always so douchey towards everyone just because he is Braxton's cousin, like that somehow made him better than anyone else.

But even I felt bad for him as sat there and admitted everything.

"Did she say she rejected you specifically?"

"She didn't have to...after I had asked her to stay, be with me...something in her changed, like she wanted to take me up on the offer but then I don't know some emotional barrier went up and instantly something made her tell me no, she said she didn't need me and then left."

I didn't say anything.

"...I've looked for her around town but she's gone, I don't know where she stayed prior to us meeting but I can't pick up her scent and I can't feel her near me."

His words tugged at my heartstrings.

"I'll see if I can help." I finally spoke.

He shook his head, "as long as she's happy and doing alright then I'm good with that...we're here."

I looked out the window before I realized we were stopped right outside of the hospital.

"Oh...thanks Patrick, see you around I suppose."

He nodded, I got out of his car and he didn't bother to hang about as he took off almost immediately.