9

HERS..

Among thousands of people in the arena watching the game and cheering for their respective universities, and among those 50+ people inside the court having their warm-ups, I couldn't take my eyes off of one person.

I can't help but be proud of his achievements as a rookie basketball player.

You can see the passion burning from his eyes and his love for the game oozing from his body. You wouldn't even believe if I say na nagta-tantrums na siya sa sobrang kaba and pressure. Naalala ko tuloy yung nangyari kahapon it was during our lunch break.

FLASHBACK

I was looking at Aly for quite a while now and I'm bothered already because it seems like his mind is out there somewhere which is so not him.

Ako: Boo?

Walang response.

Ako: Boo?! Aly!

I said a little louder with matching wagayway ng kamay sa mukha niya pero wala pa rin, nga nga padin

Medyo naasar na ako kaya sinigawan ko na.

Ako: VALDEZ! Hoy!

He was definitely startled that caused him to stand up and bump the water bottle on the table  near him. Good thing he has good reflexes, he was able to catch the bottle before it fell.

Aly: Oh shoot! Sorry, sorry Den. I got into a deep thought, I didn't notice you were talking. I'm sorry.

Ako: I can see that. What's the problem ba?

Aly: I—I'm..nevermind. I'm fine.

He said smiling but I'm not buying it. So I just gave him a tell-me-or-I'm-out-of-here stare. Nagets niya naman yun and he sighed then yumuko.

Aly: I'm asfsdaf

Ako: Don't eat your words.

He looked at me then yumuko ulit.

Aly: I said I'm asfasf po.

Naasar naman ako kasi hindi niya talaga inaayos yung sasabhin niya so I stood up. I was about to leave when he held my hand tightly then looked at me.

Aly: I'm nervous as f*ck okay? I'm... I really..It's the first time I felt this.. this nervous. I don't really know if its nerves or pressure or whatever. I..I just. I'm

He said na hirap na hirap hanapin yung right words to say and hindi makatingin sa akin ng diretso. Namamawis din yung kamay niyang nakahawak sa 'kin. I felt sorry for him naman so I sat down, held his hand and make him look at me.

Ako: Aly, look at me. Please, Boo.

When he did, I smiled at him and ginulo ko yung buhok niya which made his forehead crease. I love it when he does that na parang naiinis pero wala namang magawa kasi nagulo ko na yung buhok niya.

Ako: I know you're nervous as hell. Halata naman eh hirap na hirap ka nga mag-explain.

I said trying to lighten up the mood. Lalo naman kumunot yung noo niya habang inaayos yung buhok niya and take note naka-pout pa siya. So sdorbable.

Ako: Here, listen Boo, it's normal to feel nervous, scared, pressured or what. You just have to make those things as your motivation to play well. Don't overthink things, nakakabaliw yun. Just enjoy inside the court and remember that whatever happens, win or lose, we will always be there to support you. And keep in mind that we're so proud of you and that nothing will change the fact that we love you. Okay?