Chapter 17 - Dress Decisions and Dates

---------------------------------------------------------

It's weird how one day you think your life is going great, and there is nothing about it you would change. For a while, everything is steady, then, something bad will probably happen, with consequences. It leads to things happening that would never have happened if the bad thing hadn't occurred.

A string of unfortunate events.

Who knew that it could lead to something magical?

Weeks pass after Kayleigh and Chases' confrontation, and as we're sitting in the courtyard during the last week of school before spring break, Erica speaks up. "So, you still up for Yasmine's party on Friday?"

"Yeah, sounds great," I grin. Yasmine's parties are always said to be the best, although I've never gone before, even I know that. It's not like I wasn't ever invited, I just never thought it would really be my scene. But, Jace has taught me a lot recently, and one of those things is to say yes.

So, when Yasmine asked me, I said yes.

I have a new-found soft-spot for Yasmine, because she was the one that told Erica about Chase, all those many weeks ago. Sure, she was nice before, but I have a lot of respect for her for letting me know about it, even though she could have been potentially banished from the cheerleading squad for blabbing about it.

"What should I wear?" I wonder aloud. Erica grins.

"Mall after school?"

"I'll drive."

***

"What about this one?" Erica muses, holding a dark blue dress against her body.

"It's okay," I offer, but she shakes her head, putting it back on the rack.

"No, it's awful."

"Yeah, it looks like something my gran would wear," I laugh. "What type of look are we going for, anyway?"

"You're going to hate me, but we need to dress... sexy?"

"Sexy," I repeat, trying the word out. As much as I hate to admit it, she's right. She knows how these parties work, and I for one do not want to stick out like a sore thumb. "Okay, let's do this."

"Really?" she asks, shocked.

"Uh huh," I nod, biting my lip.

"Okay, great," she grins, tugging me out of the store and across to the nearest Victoria Secret.

"Why are we going in here?" I ask.

"Because," Erica says, turning to face me, her eyes glinting, "we're going to need some nice underwear underneath our dresses, aren't we?"

"I guess," I say. I wander around the shop, Erica in front. She's way better at fashion and shopping than me.

"This is going to be your first step with Jace," Erica instructs, biting her lip and picking out a various array of lacy bras and panties.

"And what step would that be?"

"Well, you know he likes you a lot, I mean, you're the first girl he's dated in years. But, that doesn't mean you can't impress him by, you know, accentuating your assets."

"By showing off my boobs?"

"Well, not quite," she says, confusing me even more.

"What are you talking about, Erica?"

"You know Jace better than anyone, right?"

"I guess," I shrug.

"Then tell me this, what is the one type of person he can't stand?"