Chapter 13 - Skinny Dipping and Sneaky Sleepovers

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Okay, so if, if, I say yes, what exactly is your plan?" I ask Jace, leaning back in the passenger seat of his car. He's been driving me to and from school since we've started dating.

It's been a week since our double-date, and nothing more has been said about Jace's plan. He also asked around Chase's group of close friends, and confirmed his theory. Becky did set all of this up to get back at me. And as extreme as it may seem for what little I've done to her, she's the type of person that over reacts to everything. I don't know whether to be glad that we know the truth, or upset for the same reason.

"We're going to need Kayleigh's help," he reminds me, and I grimace.

"Yeah, well, let me hear the plan first, then I'll decide."

"Okay, well, what if, we get Kayleigh to pretend to Chase that she's pregnant?" Jace asks, smirking. I look at him, and can't help the grin that makes its way on to my face.

"Okay, and then what?"

"I dunno, Becky will probably dump him when she finds out, then Kayleigh can, like, pretend she lost the baby or something?" he suggests, pulling up outside Erica's house.

"Right," I say, thinking. "And what makes you think Kayleigh will agree to this?"

"Well, at the moment, she'll probably do anything to get back on your good side," Jace says, and I shrug.

"I guess. Look, I'd better get inside, I'm going to dinner with Erica and her parents tonight."

"Okay, see you tomorrow," he says, leaning over and setting a kiss on my lips.

"You're making me want to stay," I whisper, grinning against his mouth.

"I have that effect on people," he grins, kissing me one last time, before I hop out of the car, swinging my bag over my shoulder. "See ya later!"

"Bye," I call over my shoulder, sending him a small wave. I smile to myself, opening the front door, to be greeted by Erica's Mom, Maya. Although I'd be fine calling her Mrs Hughes, she insisted I call her Maya.

"Hey, Callie," she says, watering the potted plant that stands next to the door.

"Hi, Maya," I say, closing the door behind me. "I thought you'd be at the shop?"

"I managed to get the afternoon off," she explains, heading through to the kitchen. I follow her. "Is Erica with you?"

"No, I think Tyler's giving her a lift home."

"Oh, okay," she says, emptying rest of the liquid from the watering-can into a small potted flower by the window. "Are you still up for dinner tonight?"

"Yeah, definitely," I grin. She's so nice, it's more like talking to a friend, rather than my best friend's Mom. "Hey, Mrs H?" I say, going against her first name rule. "I haven't had a chance yet to properly thank you for letting me stay here."

"Callie," she says, turning to face me, "you're practically a second daughter to me. I know everything that's going on has made living at home very awkward for you, so you're free to stay here for as long as you want to. I've spoken to your mother, and she says that she's going to give you some space, just as long as you're safe and aren't being a pain in my behind."

"Thanks, Maya," I grin, giving her a quick hug.

"No problem darling," she says, smiling warmly. "Now, go do your homework." She looks at me for a few seconds, before bursting out laughing. I join in. "I'm sorry, I just can't be strict with you!"