Chapter 27

-Dick's POV-

Blüdhaven/July 4th/9:30p.m.

 "You okay?" Lexi asked as she walked into my apartment behind me. I nodded, flopping down into one of my armchairs. We had just returned from collecting our things at the Warehouse.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I sighed, running a hand over my face. She frowned a little, walking up behind the and wrapping her arms around my neck.

"You don't sound fine." She stated, brushing my hair away from my face. I leaned into her comforting touch. "What's wrong?"

"I miss him." I told her. "I miss Wally."

"I miss Wally too." She said softly. We sat there in silence for a while, until she said, "Get up." I  looked up at her to see her arms crossed over her chest.

"Why?" I groaned. These past few weeks had taken a toll on my body. Every move I made had my muscles screaming in protest.

"You need to relax. Come on, take a warm shower, and I'll make you some dinner." I looked at her questioningly. "Ok, yeah, you're right. I'll get us some takeout. Now scoot. What do you want?"

"Pizza okay with you? I don't have the energy to hold utensils."

"Whatever you want Wonder Boy." she laughed, taking out her phone and dialing the number. She walked into the bathroom and I heard the water running. A moment later, she returned. "Alright, I've got two large pizza's on their way and you go take a shower. I took one before we left the Warehouse. Oh, I know! I can bake cookies."

"Babe, that's the only thing you can make that actually tastes good." I smirked.

"Shut up." she huffed. "I'll run to the store and-"

"Lexi," I stopped her, grabbing her arm and pulling her down into the chair with me, "Just stay with me. Don't try and make me comfortable and all. It's fine. I just want you here." I told her, nuzzling my face into the crook of her neck.

She sighed. "Alright... Just, go take a shower okay?" I nodded, shifting up from under her and going into the bathroom after I got a towel and clothes.

Ten minutes later, I came out of the shower in basketball short, and went into the kitchen to look for Lexi. When she wasn't there, I checked the bedroom and found her watching the news, the pizza boxes sitting next to her. She was dressed in sweatpants and one of my t-shirts.

"Hey." She said quietly, hearing me walk in. 

"What you watching?" I asked, moving to sit next to her.

"This is Cat Grant reporting live from the UN, where the entire planet Earth is celebrating a special Independence Day, free of Reach Invaders. All thanks to the brave heroes of the Justice League."

I angrily grabbed the remote and switched the television off.

"You okay?"

"No." I huffed, flopping down onto my stomach. "Wally saved the world and died in the process. How come he gets no recognition?"

"I know..." she sighed. I felt the bed dip beside me and suddenly she was straddling my waist.

"What are you-"

"Shhhh. Just relax. You need to relax." She cooed, running her hands on my bare back. She began massaging my shoulders, getting out all the knots and soreness.

"Mmmm have I ever told you how much I love you?" I groaned, my voice muffled because I was face down on the bed.

"You might have mentioned it once or twice." she giggled. After a few minutes on my shoulders, she moved down towards my back. I hissed as she reached a particularly tender spot. "I love you too." she murmured, placing a kiss on my neck before  refocusing on my back.

"Bruce, Alfred, Tim, and I already consider you part of our family you know." I told her. She stiffened and her hands stopped moving. "Lex? You okay?"

"Y-yeah, fine." she stammered, continuing her assault on my muscles. "You're my family too."

I turned over and laid her on top of me. "Baby, what's wrong?" I asked, looking into her unique blue eyes for them to give away some emotion.

"Nothing's wrong, Dick. Really, I'm fine."

"I'm not buying that." I told her.

She sighed. "Fine.... It's just... I haven't really seen or heard from my family or my birth mother since the whole 'end of the world' thing. I'm just... well, I... okay I talked to my sister, but that's it."

"Lexi, why haven't you just gone and visited." I asked, stoking her cheek with my thumb.

"Because... well... everything has just been so crazy since Wally... you know..." she sighed, "Artemis needed me. You needed me." I smiled at her thoughtfulness.

"Lexi, you're too good to me." I groaned, hating that her discomfort was partially caused by me. "Go see your parents. Right now. And tomorrow, I'm buying you the first ticket to California to see your mom."

"But-"

"No buts. You're going. You'll be happier. Now get up." She nodded, hopping up and grabbing some jeans. She disappeared into the bathroom and returned a moment later wearing the jeans and my large t-shirt tucked in, so it wouldn't look so baggy. She slipped on a jacket and threw her utility belt in the inner pocket.

Shoving her feet into random shoes, she said, "I'll be back in an hour or so."

"Take your time. Just call me when you get in safely alright? I'll leave you some pizza."

She nodded, leaning down and kissing me briefly. "Okay. I'll see you soon." And with a grin, she was gone out the front door.

-Lexi's POV-

I made my way to the nearest Zeta and had it take me to Gotham. I had programed it to take me to a broken down photo-booth that was just around the corner from my parents penthouse, but somehow I ended up in a phone booth in the back of an alley in downtown Gotham. Sighing and assuming that either I had just made a mistake or the Zeta tubes were screwing up, I pulled out my wallet, ready to catch a cab.

"Hey doll face, where you going?" A voice said from behind me. Two men stepped in front of me and blocked my way, blowing puffs of smoke from their cigarettes in my face. I coughed and waved the smoke from my nose.

"Away from here." I snapped, ready to beat up these assholes if they dared to touch me.

"Is that so?" Goon #1 smirked. Suddenly the two men turned into five. Tougher, but I could still get away. I reached into my pocket for a batarang, but stopped short when a boom tube opened under me. I only had enough time to glance up at the shocked faces of the men before I fell down into the swirling vortex.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OKOKOKOKOKOK I know I promised it would be over but LITERLLY ONE MORE CHAPTER I SWEAR. NO LIES!! I PROMISE THT WILL BE IT!! COMMENT AND VOTE PLEAASSEE!! lots of Dexi love goin on. ;)