Chapter 4

[A/N]: This fic is really fun to write! But since it's being cowritten, it's hard to get chapters up really quickly since Sophie and I don't live in the same house! BUT we try because you guys seem to really like this fic! Oh yeah... this is Elsie writing this authors note by the way! :D

The sun was already setting, disappearing slowly beneath the stretch of blue but now orange tinged water. Yet, Harry was still sprawled out on his stomach on the rocks, gazing down in curiosity at the merman who was answering all of Harry's questions enthusiastically.

"So how much of the ocean do you own? Just the Atlantic?" Harry asked, shaking a bit of water from his still damp curls.

"I own all of it," Louis shook is head. "Or... my father does, rather."

"All of it?" Harry arched an eyebrow in disbelief. "There isn't another king somewhere else?"

"Nope..." Louis said slowly. "All of it... well, I mean, my father has handpicked designated people to watch over different parts that he can't reach, but he rules it all."

"How big is your family?" he asked next.

"I have four little siblings, and then there's my mum and my dad," Louis grinned. "And I guess Niall. He kind of counts."

"That's a big family compared to mine," Harry explained, dipping a finger into the salty water. "I have my mum, my step-dad Robin, and my older sister Gemma."

"We both only have sisters, though," Louis pointed out. "That's similar to each other."

"You've got a point there."

The two were silent for a few moments, and Harry looked away from Louis and up at the sunset. However, Louis was suddenly poking at Harry's arm to get his attention, "What if I help you swim, then will you come in the water with me? It's lonely!"

"Louis, I don't even think help could make me a better swimmer, and I shouldn't try and learn where I can't touch!" Harry shook his head in exasperation. "Plus, how do I know you aren't going to eat me?"

"But I like you!" the young merprince reminded.

"All the more reasons to eat me," Harry teased.

Louis poked his lips out in a pout, "We don't even eat people!"

"Then I'd drown."

"I wouldn't let you!" Louis insisted, pushing himself up and scrambling onto the rock. "If you won't come down here, I'm coming up here."

"Hey, no, no!" Harry pushed himself up quickly and attempted to shoo Louis back into the water. "You actually will die or something."

"Or something," Louis mocked, poking at Harry's legs.

"Lou!" Harry said in exasperation, and Louis' eyebrow shot up.

"Lou?"

"Oh... I just- it's a nickname for Louis, so I-" Harry rambled.

"It's fine," Louis chuckled. "It just proves that we really are friends even though I've barely known you for a day!"

"Yes, we're friends, but I won't have a new friend much longer if he doesn't get his tail back in the water," Harry narrowed his eyes and tried to give him a stern look.

"Hey peasant," Louis pushed himself up as high as he could. "I'm the prince! You can't tell me what to do."

Harry gave him a look of disbelief, "Um..."

"I'm kidding," Louis giggled. "I'm not one of those royal merpeople."

"You should get in the water," Harry said slowly.