16. The Island's Magic

TTW Ch16

As soon as David and Snow were handed that small crumpled note of paper, they were filled with fear. The night had been perfect up to that. Emma seemed happy, and Snow hadn't seen that since Kade disappeared and was replaced by the traitor Killian. But just as quickly as things had turned good, everything fell apart. Her daughter, her princess, her everything was stolen away from her, in the hands of some murderous pirate she could only assume had to be that low down, terrible man.

The nerve of him, oh just the thought made her blood boil. She and David had put their daughter's life in his hands many times since he was the most trusted guard, but how wrong they had been.

She reread the note for the dozenth time as she stood on the creaking deck of a royal ship, her husbands arms wrapped tight around her as the sun began to rise.

Bring all of your treasury to Bald mountain by the third sunset, or I will break your Swan's wings.

"We'll find her, Snow. We'll find Emma, and I won't let him get away again." He spoke fiercely. The rage had been growing inside him since Killian ran off with their gold and their daughter's heart, but when Emma disappeared, it started a flame in his heart. He would do anything to get her back. Whatever it takes, he will do it for Emma.

"David, tonight is the third sunset. What happens then?" Snow asked, desperation filling her voice.

"He won't do anything daft without getting some gold, and we'll sail until we find her." He promised, trying to comfort his wife. He kissed her cheek and they stared out at the orange sun glistening over the dark waters.

Behind them, Regina climbed up from the cabin. Her daughter begged her to stay at the palace, claiming she should keep an eye on things, but Regina knew Snow feared for her health. She wasn't that old yet, and she refused to stay home when her granddaughter's life was on the line.

She came up and stood by the couple, her eyes showing she was lost in thought. Snow glanced at her mom, "What is it?" She asked, hoping she know something.

"A hunch." She replied.

David sighed, hoping only for real proof and not interested in some feeling.

"Don't roll your eyes at me." She slightly snapped at him. "I know what I feel. There's magic in the air." She said, staring at the empty sky.

"But.. Are you sure?" Snow asked, eyes wide. "You haven't used your magic since before Emma was born."

"Once you learn it you never loose it. I know what I feel." She clearly felt very strongly about this. Snow and David knew her well enough to know she believed what she was saying. They just needed to decide if they believed her.

"It can't be Killian that took Emma." Regina spoke suddenly.

"It is! He stole our gold, but couldn't get his hands on enough!" David exclaimed.

"No," Regina said calmly, "Someone did this to get back at him. Someone with magic."

-------

Brinley pulled the bell cord, chiming it five loud times. The Dawn watch was halfway through their shift and the sun had just began to show the first signs of its glowing rays. Killian was at the wheel, where he'd been all night. Work was the only way to keep him mind away from worry. He also wanted to be awake when they reached Arrendale.

Darb and Pearson had taken turns checking Emma throughout the night. Infection could settle in very easily in her condition. They needed the medicine quickly.

"I just spoke with Darb." Brinley said quietly to the Captain.

"How is she?" He asked, eyes wide with fear. Brinley was the only man on the ship that saw Killian like this. The two men were like brothers, and Killian wanted the man to trust him. For that reason, he always told him the truth and nothing short of it.