8. The Dream's End

TTW Ch8
"Miss. Miss wake up."

A maid, Rosie, was desperately trying to wake the princess. This morning's festivities had already begun, and she was late. The clatter could be heard from her majesty's large open windows. People were flooding in to enjoy the music, trading, and food.

"Mistress, please. Your late!" She pleaded, hoping to keep her job as she shook the princess awake.

"Huh?" Emma sat up with a yawn and stretched her arms out.

"Your late!" Rosie squeaked. She was a newer maid, not quite knowing how to treat the royals, fearful of their status.

"Late for what?" She yawned.

"The festival!" She pulled Emma out of bed and to her feet.

"The festival? The festival! I'm missing it!" She ran to her closet and grabbed a dress, changing as quickly as she could. Rosie found her a pair of shoes, fearing she would just walk right out barefoot.

"Thank you Rosie!" She called as she ran down the hall, shoes in hand. Emma put her golden curls into a plait as she descended the large staircase into the garden. The day was truly beautiful. Early morning sun shone brightly through the greens of the trees. Her swans were surely enjoying all the attention they would be getting. Bread would be tossed until they were stuffed full.

The archery range had been turned into a competition area. A few men were practicing now, some brave women also. Emma always loved to participate in it. New challengers underestimated her each year. It was an entertaining thing for the others, who knew she could just about outshoot everyone but her mother. Maybe Emma would get her to join in this year.

A young girl with long brown hair ran up to her. She was in a lovely home sowed pink dress. It was long and simple, but with her bangs pulled back she looked truly radiant. "For you, Princess Emma." She smiled brightly and curtseyed, offering Emma a swan lily.

"Why thank you!" She took the lily and tucked it begin her ear. "What is your name?" She asked kindly.

"Casslyn." She said with bright eyes.

"Well Casslyn, would you like to look at the booths with me?" Emma offered, taking the girls hand as she nodded excitedly. They walked into the rows of tables. All of them were stocked with beautiful stones, hidden treasures found or made. Emma loved the raw beauty of them. She could have whatever she wanted whenever she wished, but these people, they found amazing ways to make things.

There was a table of wooden carvings filled with little people, slightly taller then apples. There was a man carving them behind the table, and a lady beside him. All of them were the color of wood, but the table table had dozens of paints. Casslyn paid particular interest in this booth. Emma pulled a shilling from her pocket and laid it on the table. "Do you want a doll?" She asked, glancing at her with a grin.

The young girls eyes lit up. She pushed the coin forward to the lady with her little finger, and twirled her hair shyly.

"Pick yourself a wooden one, sweetheart." The lady said with a smile. "Good day Princess, how've you been?" She asked.

"Amazing." She answered with a smile. "How far did you travel?" She asked the couple.

"My husband and I are from Kesway. This is the first time we've had the money to make the trip." She explained. Kesway was a village near the south of the island, many miles from the palace.

"I'm quite glad you did. These dolls are beautiful! If you have any troubles in the future, send a letter to the palace and I promise we will get you here!" Emma offered.