The Devil's Angel - Chapter 16

Start from the beginning

Dialling from memory,, I bit my lip as the call rang and rang. Just when I was sure the phone was going to click over to voicemail, his voice was thee. It filtered down the phone line and caressed my ears like a love song.

"Hello?"

"Lucius?" I asked, my voice wavering as I spoke.

"Savannah. Oh thank God. I've been so worried about you." Lucius voice rushed down the phone line. "Where are you?"

I glanced around and frowned. "I don't know. I have no idea where I am." Blue flashing lights and sirens announced the arrival of the local police force. "The police are here now so I have a feeling everyone will know where we are soon enough."

"We?"

"I found the kidnapped people." I closed my eyes before murmuring, "the ones who were still alive that is."

"Who was it?" Lucius asked. His voice soft yet there was steel behind his words. He wanted answers.

"I only recognised one man. He was the man from the shelter. Speak to my assistant – she'll remember." I raised a shaky hand and ran it down my face as once again the children rushed forwards and wrapped their arms around my waist, their faces nuzzling into my stomach.

Glancing up, I watched as a stern looking man dressed in standard issue police uniform detached from the small group of black clad men and women to approach me. He was older, looking to be in his fifties if the lines on his face and the shock of silver hair were anything to go by. He was a man who had seen many horrors and it was clear the man had an inkling of what we had faced.

The children, catching sight of the grim look on the man's face, squeaked and burrowed their faces into my stomach once more. I winced as my flesh was still tender. The doctor had removed a section of my skin from the precise spot where the small girl nuzzled her face and no matter how much healing my body could do in a day, it wasn't enough to take away the painful sting as the scabs ruptured and the wound opened once more.

Even as I felt the pain, I stroked the back of the small girl's head and held her to me. Comfort was the only thing I could offer her.

"I have to go but we'll discuss this later. We may have escaped and the man who hurt me may be gone, but this problem is so much bigger." I whispered before ending the call.

I had no doubt Lucius and the others would be here sooner rather than later. He wouldn't stay away and I didn't want him to.

"Miss Holmes, I am Superintendent Shipper. I am pleased to see you alive and well." The older man said, coming to stop a safe distance away. His eyes fell to the children still clinging desperately to my waist.

"And I'm glad to be found." I murmured before pulling the children around from my waist so that they were facing the police man.

Sensing the fear in the children, he smiled softly so that his entire face transformed. He dropped down into a crouch so that he was at their eye level. "Hello, I'm Mark."

"I'm Keir and this is Miki." The boy stated as he looked directly at the policeman and shook the outstretched hand. His back was straight and his chin lifted, he looked so much older in that moment.

"It's nice to meet you Keir." Mark replied, his eyes warm even though a touch of sadness lingered within their depths. "I want to help you get home. Can you tell me where you live? Or your parent's names?"

Keir shook his head, his dark hair falling over his eyes, as he looked into the old man's face. His bottom lip trembled before he uttered words which broke my heart.