01; feeling shameful

Start from the beginning

"When do you take your meds then? Or you know what, just pass the bottle." He diverted his attention from the long winding road and grabbed the small orange bottle that carried my pills. "Take once a day." He read off the bottle. "Cool. I trust you've taken it today."

I muttered a 'yes' and grabbed the bottle back from him and shoved it back in my bag, I had already taken it pill this morning.

"Getting back into sports is a good way to manage your moods." Kyle mused. "You were great at basketball, why don't start that again?"

"Maybe." I answered, contemplating the idea. I knew exercise could help, but it was those times I didn't want to get out of bed at all when I felt I wouldn't be able to keep up doing basketball once a week, every week. These 'moods' I have sometimes last for numerous days and even after that it's not completely gone.

"Even jogging a few times a week helps. Anything that releases endorphins. Sex works too, just so you know."

I rolled my eyes.

"I was kidding, well, I wasn't, sex actually does work. Just don't go round having sex with random people around town. Don't want a repeat of high school, right?"

"Kyle, shut up." I snickered. He laughed too. "You're just jealous I always had booty calls."

"Am not." He scoffed.

It was around nine thirty when we arrived in my neighbourhood. We were parked across the road from my house. My house was right there. Yet, I couldn't work up enough courage to get out of the car and go in.

The lights were on, meaning someone was still awake, and I could see that the television was playing Jeremy Kyle through the window. There was one one person I knew who loved watching that tv show.

I cleared my throat as I placed my hands around the door handle of the car and pulled it towards me until the door flung open.

"You can do this." Kyle assured, "go knock on the door and I'll help start unloading your things."

I nodded and walked up to the all too familiar door with wobbly knees. I knocked twice before I saw a figure approaching and unlocking the door through the clouded glass.

It was dad.

"Flynn." He greeted, moving out of the way so I could get inside the house. "Bloody hell, Flynn. You went through with it."

"Yup," I popped the 'p' and threw my rucksack in the house. I headed back outside to grab more of my stuff and dad put on a pair of slippers so he could come and help. "Sure did."

"Well it's nice to see you, son." He ran a hand through my hair and kissed the top of my head in a fatherly manner. "You too, Kyle."

"Dad I'm nearly nineteen! You can't kiss my head anymore." I groaned and handed him a box of my kitchen crockery.

Dad just shook his head and went inside the house to put the box down. I picked up two boxes of my clothes and followed him in.

We both placed our boxes down in the middle of the living room and headed back out to get more boxes.

Kyle left once we finished unloading and dad and I sat down on the sofa. He turned the volume of a little lower. My sister and stepmother were meant to be sleeping upstairs, but all the ruckus must've woken them up because I soon heard creaking on the staircase.