:A Surreptitious Relationship: Chapter Thirty-Four

Start from the beginning

            Aaron stared at me almost pityingly. Like I was the stupidest person on Earth. "I'm not sure how many times I need to say this, but I was angry at Shawn. He lied to me. I had to get back at him somehow." 

            I furrowed my eyebrows together. "Then why are you still trying to ruin my life? Why waste your time?" 

            "I'm not wasting my time." 

            "You didn't answer my first question. Why don't you give it up? You can't do anything to ruin my life. Like pretending Chris attacked you, why keep up that façade when I know it's not the truth?" 

            He sunk back into the pillows of his bed. "Because it's still Shawn..." 

            I gasped. "Shawn! I was right! His followers attacked you, didn't they? Didn't they, Aaron?"  

            "I told you," he growled, "it was Mr. Heywood." 

            "No," I said slowly, "because I just asked you why you were still lying about it being Chris, and you said because it's still Shawn." 

            Aaron's eyes narrowed and he sat up swiftly, reaching his arm out to grab me. I leaned away from him, watching as he face contorted with pain. He let out a low groan, his hand dropping to his stomach. "Damn it." 

            "Are you okay?" I asked, scooting forward in my seat. "Do you want me to get the nurse-" 

            "No," he replied sharply. "Just leave." 

            "Not yet." 

            "Get out." 

            "No." 

            "Holly, leave." 

            "No." 

            He glared at me. "You're so stubborn! It's annoying!" 

            I puffed out my chest. "I'm actually happy being stubborn. If you're not stubborn, then you're a push-over." 

            "I don't get you," he said with a sigh. "After all the things I've done to you. You should hate me. Like Mr. Heywood and Mr. Ross do. I've punched your best friend, Holly. I've tried to take advantage of you." 

            "Yeah, and you got what you deserved for that. Everyone makes mistakes, Aaron. You took the wrong path when it came to Shawn, and if there's no one to set you on the right one, you'll just continue down the wrong one. You're just lucky you tried to ruin my life and not someone's who's unforgiving... Although it also has to do with the fact I was kind of in your position before," I added as an afterthought. 

            He shook his head at me. "You're an idiot." 

            "Now tell me. Did Shawn's followers attack you?" 

            For a few moments there was only silence. Trying to be as patient as possible, I rested my hands on my lap, waiting for his response. He finally sighed. "Yes. There were two people I didn't know, but Mikey was there. That's how I found out it was Shawn who set them on me." 

            "Mikey?" I repeated in surprise. "Isn't he in jail?" 

            "You know him?" 

            "He stabbed me," I explained. 

            Aaron's eyes widened. "What?"