(36) Christian L. Davenport

Start from the beginning

Laurence waited a few seconds before letting out a gasp of breath and turning his face away from Alex's, looking deeply and thoughtfully at the window that was beside them. It was as if he was trying to find the exact words to express himself, or where to actually start.

"Did I ever tell you how I discovered The Golden Jaggers?" said Laurence still looking at the window, "Well, how I discovered her actually"

"I'm afraid I've never heard the story" muttered Alex.

"I've had this big and awful fight with my wife - she threw me from our home, she just kicked me out, in the middle of the night!" said Laurence remembering everything, "And I was just so devastate that I started to walk around the many bars of LA, hoping that maybe a drink or two would cease my pain"

"So I stepped inside this bar that had all this colorful lights outside, and to my surprise it was full of younger people and everyone was having a laugh and watching this band which I didn't really cared about. I just entered and sat in the bar counter and ordered a whisky" said Laurence now looking at Alex, "Everyone was dancing around to the sound of the music and I was just so completely unaware of it; I was just absorbed on my own misery, you know"

"But then this really massive and fulfilling silence was made, and all of the colorful lights that were in the bar joined into a single white one, and all of the members of the band exited the stage except for the singer, who was this really beautiful and young girl that just grabbed her acoustic guitar and a chair and sat in the middle of the stage with the microphone"

"At first I was just captivated by her beauty - I remembered thinking that I hadn't really seen a girl as beautiful as she her... I just couldn't keep looking at her, it was magnetizing"

"And then she started talking; she said something about her band called The Golden Jaggers and how they just moved from England to LA to pursue they dream and all that hopeful shit" continued Laurence, "But then she started singing a song that she composed, called Chelsea Hotel N.2"

Laurence's expression then transformed completely and the curves of his lips drew a simple and gentle smile which revealed the thoughts and memories behind it.

"For fuck's sake she was something, she was genuinely something - she still is, for sure" said Laurence remembering even harder than before, "But in that exact moment, I can honestly tell you that I had never felt this way for any other artist before. I still don't know what it was but her voice and the feelings and emotions that they portrayed with the song she was singing, it made me feel extremely miserable, because I could actually feel her pain and it was just so huge and so emotional that I just wanted to go back to my home and kiss my wife and tell her how much I truly loved her"

"Her voice just filled the entire room and everyone was as astonished as I was" he said looking at Alex with genuine passion in his eyes; and for a minute he could felt Laurence's feelings towards Arabella's singing, because he had felt the same way before.

"Of course you can perfectly imagined what happened next" said Laurence now changing his expression, "I told them to come and see me, a couple of meetings were arranged and then we finally signed with them"

Laurence now looked at Alex in a carefully and delicately way, as if he was once again questioning whether to tell him the truth that he knew would hurt him so badly; but he had to, Laurence didn't had a choice at all. He knew that Alex deserved to know the truth, whether he liked it or not.

"I know that you are aware of our personal and strict policy that demands to know all the information about each and every single person in the band about their past lives, their family, their relationships and their environment - you know, to actually avoid and hide any sort of problems or inconveniencies that the press or media could find about" said Laurence with a serious expression, "And I'm talking about the bad things, obviously; the sort of things that can't be known by the public, right?"