“So you’re sure you’re alright?” He asked, setting a plate in front of me.

“Yes, I’m alright. Just don’t ask me for another vision any time soon.”

He chuckled once then started moving things around the kitchen, probably cleaning up. There was a shuffle of feet as Chance slowly made his way into the room. He let out a big yawn then plopped down in the seat beside me.

“Hey Lizzy? Could you have a vision for me real quick and see if it’s going to rain?”

I blinked then turned to glare at him. Did he not just hear what I said to Jesse? No more visions.

“What?” He asked, a smirk in his voice. “I just wanted to know if I needed an umbrella.”

I rolled my eyes then went back to eating. “That’s what the weather channel is for.”

“But they get it wrong sometimes,” he whined, “You’re always exact.” I jumped slightly as his arm suddenly wrapped around my waist. “That’s why you’re my girl.”

Chance’s arm was suddenly pulled away and Jesse spoke from behind us. “Hurry up and get ready. They’ll be here soon.”

Chance stood but didn’t move otherwise. “But I just woke up.”

“Well you slept in pretty late,” Jesse replied, sounding irritated, “We all did. Now go.”

Chance started to mutter under his breath but did as Jesse said. “I guess I should get ready too,” I said quietly, taking the last bite and standing up.

I started walking out of the room but stopped as Jesse caught my wrist. “El.”

“Yes?”

He was quiet for a moment then spoke softly. “Just be careful today. My father is a very dangerous man.”

I smiled, pulling my arm away. “I know, and I will be.”

With that, I hurried upstairs and got ready, putting on some jeans and a long-sleeve shirt. I then slipped my shoes on, tying them extra tight, and slid my phone in one pocket and the small pocket knife Chance had given me into my back pocket.

“Well,” I said to myself with a deep breath, “I’m as ready as I’m ever going to be.”

By the time I got downstairs, the boys were ready and waiting in the big, open entryway. I ran my hand against the side of the staircase as I made my way to the back of the room.

“They’re almost here,” Jesse whispered to me, taking my hand and pulling me between the two of them.

“Just stay calm,” Chance said, trying to sound reassuring, “We’ll protect you.”

“We just need to convince him, right?” I asked. “That’s the plan, just convince him not to kill me.”

“Right,” Jesse answered, “And if things go south, Chance and I will take on the ten people you saw him bringing with him and you make a run for it.”

“When things go south,” Chance corrected, “Because I’m telling you, he’s going to order her dead.”

Jesse tensed beside me. “I don’t think he will.”

Both boys suddenly became very quiet and the creaking of the front door opening echoed through the house. My heart started to race as several people entered the room.

Chance

I stood still as several vampires entered the room. I recognized most of them and knew that a few were older than us and had been with father for longer while others he had turned after us. Overall, they wouldn’t go down easily, but I was sure Jesse and I could take them.