Chapter 9

Jesse

How could a human be so beautiful? All I could think about was Elizabeth. I’d tried all afternoon to think of something else, but to no avail. Her image just kept popping into my mind. Her long, silky red hair and her delicate face. She just seemed so perfect, full of natural beauty. She put all the models to shame. And I’m sure if she ever took her sunglasses off she’d have beautiful eyes.

Why did she always wear those things? Did she not like her eyes? Did she despise their color or shape? Maybe she believed they did not match the rest of her perfect features. Maybe that is why she always hid them away. It did not matter to me, I’m sure they are just as perfect as the rest of her, if for no other reason than that they are part of her.

“Jesse!” I jumped as Chance called my name.

Turning around, I saw him standing in my doorway looking rather annoyed.

“I’ve been calling your name for five minutes now,” he grumbled.

“Oh, sorry. I was deep in thought.”

He smirked. “I’m sure you were. Are you starting to obsess over the girl too now?” I opened my mouth to protest but he just kept talking. “Because you sure did drink a lot this afternoon. More than usual.”

“So did you,” I replied with a glare.

“Yes, but I openly admit my obsession.”

Again, I opened my mouth to speak but he just turned around and started walking down the empty hall. “The old man wants to see us, something about him going away for awhile, so hurry up. I want a front row seat to his goodbye.”

Elizabeth

I glanced around, trying to find out where I was, but I didn’t recognize anything. I was in a good sized room that looked like it would have been very elegant if it wasn’t so old and warn down. As everything came more into focus, I realized that Chance was standing a few feet away with a boy his same height a build standing next to him, though this boy had short black hair. Was that Jesse?

They were standing at an angle that made it hard to see their faces and they were standing very alert. I looked in the direction of their gaze and saw a man sitting in a very elegant, and old, chair at the other end of the room. He was sitting in the shadows and other than the fact that he was a man, and was sitting there, I couldn’t tell anything else.

What an odd dream, I thought to myself.

“I will be gone for quite awhile,” the man said in a deep, powerful voice.

“How long exactly?” Chance asked with a smirk in his voice. “I want to know if I should be a little excited, or very excited.”

The man growled quietly, parting his lips to show two white, glistening fangs. Those I could see.

“Should I throw a small, happy party,” Chance continued, unfazed, “or a big, ecstatic party?”

“I will be coming back,” the man said before turning to look at Jesse. “Please keep your brother in line while I’m gone.”

“Yes sir,” Jesse replied in his smooth voice.

The man seemed to relax slightly, obviously trusting Jesse to keep Chance in check. “Maybe you can convince him to stay away from the girl, since he refuses to listen to me.”

The girl? What girl was Jesse supposed to keep Chance away from? A clock somewhere in the house started to chime to mark the hour, but they kept talking, not paying any attention to it. One, Two . . .