Chapter 5

Elizabeth

I looked around, trying to figure out where I was. The sounds tipped me off before the sights, since that’s what I was used to. I was near some popular shops in town. Outside of one of Jenna’s favorite clothing stores to be exact.

A man walked by in front of me, walking his dog. The dog stopped for a second, shaking and making its collar jingle. The man patted the dog’s head then they were off again. Some boy rode by on a skateboard, dressed in neon colored clothes, and stopped nearby to greet some friends rather enthusiastically.

Across the street I noticed one of the girls from school walking down the sidewalk. I’d never actually seen her before and wouldn’t of realized who she was except that I recognized the jewelry she was wearing. It made the weirdest sounds when she walked.

It was dark out and she must have been heading home from work. I’d heard her talking about it before. She always got off late and took this short cut through a few alleyways so she could get home quicker. The girl took a quick look around then ducked into the alley across the street.

I was about to walk away, try to find out what I was doing here, when one guy caught my eye. He had dark hair the hung into his eyes and he was definitely a ten. He looked just like what Jenna had described. A cool breeze blew through and I caught the scent of his cologne. This had to be Chance, had to be.

His eyes were like pools of darkness and almost had a glow to them as he slowly walked down the sidewalk, a small smirk on his face. It was just like I imagined it.

Talk about intense stares. His gaze was fixed on the girl, never leaving her as he weaved through the crowd. There was just something incredibly creepy about it all, like he was stalking her . . . hunting her.

His grin widened as she stepped into the alley and he quickly followed her. It only took a few seconds for a small, muffled scream to echo in my sensitive ears. Without thinking, I hurried across the street and into the alley.

I heard some odd sounds I couldn’t quite place and walked farther into the shadows. When I finally saw them, I stopped dead in my tracks. Chance was holding the girl close to him, his face to her neck, and it looked like if he wasn’t holding her up, she’d just fall to the ground, too weak to stand.

My eyes widened as I noticed a stream of blood running down her neck and down her arm. I stumbled back and ran into a trashcan, making a rather loud noise. Chance’s head slowly lifted, his eyes glowing, and two sharp fangs hanging down, dripping blood.

I sat straight up in bed, a hand over my heart as I tried to calm down. Dreams were always such a weird thing to me. Usually, I immediately knew if I was dreaming though, because I could actually see in my dreams. Well, most of them anyway. So I was used to dreams always feeling odd, but this one was even weirder. It all seemed so real and so important. And so creepy . . . was that really what Chance looked like? If so, how could I of possibly know that? Jenna’s descriptions weren’t that good. No way would I be able to dream of Chance looking exactly like he did in real life.

A hand grabbed my arm and I jumped a foot, letting out a small scream.

“It’s okay!” Jenna said quickly, sitting up beside me and letting go of my arm. “It’s just me. Bad dream?”

I nodded quickly. “Really creepy one.”

“Well you’re okay now, and I promise you there’s no one else in the room that’s going to get you.”

I smiled and she laid back down.

“Hey Jen?” I asked quietly.

“Mm?”