Chapter 8

Elizabeth

The bell rang and I gather up my things, saying bye to Jenna then making my way down the hall. I’d only gotten a few feet when I realized Jesse was following me.

“So are you stalking me now?” I teased.

Jesse laughed once. “No, I just thought I’d walk you to your next class.”

“Well that’s very sweet of you,” I said with a smile. I didn’t know what Jenna and Chance were talking about; Jesse was the sweetest, most gentlemanly guy I’d ever met. Normally I’d never admit this, but I actually liked Jesse. As in liked liked.

“Well, it would be,” he said in an odd tone I couldn’t place, “if I didn’t have an ulterior motive.”

Oh great. Right when I finally admit to myself that I like him, he’s going to say something that makes me think he’s just like every other jerk teen guy.

“And that would be?”

“To warn you to stay away from Chance,” he said in a tone that was a little too serious. Well that’s not something every other jerk teen guy would say, though the way he said it was a little creepy. Kind of ominous.

“Yeah, he’s . . . weird. I don’t care how much he tries to flirt with me, I’m never going to give in. Not to that creeper. No thank you.”

“Uh, that’s not quite what I meant. El,” he caught my arm and made me stop, turning me to face him. “Chance isn’t what he seems. He’s . . . dangerous.”

My eyes widened slightly. Maybe my dream was just my subconscious trying to get me to stay away from Chance. Maybe it had been picking up on these dangerous vibes and was trying to warn me. So maybe my dream wasn’t supposed to be literal, just metaphorical. But . . . it had all happened exactly like my dream. What if it was all real and Jesse knew. What if he was trying to protect me and the rest of the world against his monster brother!

Whoa there Elizabeth, you have definitely seen too many horror movies. I’m going to just stick with the first conclusion.

Jesse let go of my arm. “You should stay as far away from him as you can.”

“Yeah, maybe you should tell him to stay away from me because everywhere I go, he pops up.”

Jesse suddenly became very quiet. It wasn’t one of the awkward silences I was used to, this one almost felt . . . nervous, worried. Okay, what was going on here?

“What’s wrong?” I asked quickly. When he didn’t answer, I asked again, starting to get a little nervous. “What’s wrong, Jesse?” Was there some guy in a hockey mask standing behind me with a chainsaw?

“Nothing, nothing’s wrong. Just stay away from – Chance!” The way he said Chance’s name told me that he obviously just walked up.

“Talking about me brother?” Chance asked, now standing behind me.

Great. I think I’d rather have the chainsaw, hockey mask guy please. At least with him I knew where the danger was coming from.

Jesse was quiet for a minute. “Remember what I’ve told you,” he said before walking away. But I couldn’t tell if he was talking to me or Chance. Maybe both. But what would he have told Chance before that he needed to remember now?

“Kill joy,” Chance muttered before taking my arm and pulling me down the hall. “Come on Lizzy, don’t want to be late.”

“Since when do you care about class?” I asked, pulling my arm away.