Chapter 10

Elizabeth

I had agreed to meet Jesse outside a small food place in town around 6:30. Of course, he had wanted to come pick me up at my house and drive me there, but not wanting Jack to start something with him, I declined.

It wasn’t really that hard getting here; I’m not as helpless as Jack seems to think. But I didn’t really want to wait inside, where it was fairly loud and confusing, so instead I was leaning against the wall outside and waited for him there.

I heard someone walking up and waited, hoping it was Jesse. The person didn’t say a word as he or she moved closer, making me think less and less that it was him. Then as I turned my head toward the approaching person, I caught the scent of that familiar cologne.

My eyes widened and I spun around and quickly moved down the sidewalk, hoping he hadn’t seen me yet and that I could get away to somewhere with more people where he would be less likely to do something creepy.

“Don’t run from me, Lizzy,” Chance said as he caught up and grabbed my arm, quickly pulling me into an alley.

“Let me go Chance!”

He just laughed once. “Why so testy?”

“Where’s Jesse?”

“Oh yes, my dear brother.” Chance had already let go of my arm and now moved closer to me until he had me backed up against a wall. “I’m afraid he’s been delayed.”

“What did you do to him!?”

He laughed again, putting a hand on the wall just beside me. “I’d never do something to hurt my brother.” He leaned closer to me, his voice softening ever so slightly. “Don’t you like me Lizzy?”

“Honestly? You really freak me out.”

He laughed once, reaching out and running a hand over my hair. “I should.”

My heart picked up a few beats and I leaned my head back farther, trying to put more distance between us, though it didn’t work very well.

“Jesse says you’re dangerous,” I whispered, hoping he’d deny it.

“Extremely,” he whispered back, leaning his head beside mine. “But you still like me, don’t you Lizzy?”

“No.” I shook my head, getting very nervous. Where were we even? I wasn’t sure anymore, couldn’t remember which way we turned or which way was out if I did manage to get away from him. Were other people around? Could anyone see us?

He leaned his body closer to mine. Dang, he was in shape! And thin too! I couldn’t help myself; I reached out and lightly felt his sides, wondering just how skinny he was. Dang! Did he ever eat?

“What are you doing?” he asked, a smirk in his voice.

“I . . . uh,” I could feel the blush heating up my cheeks. “I wanted to . . . see how skinny you are.”

“So,” he said, turning his face toward the side of my head as he spoke, “You see with your hands, right?”

“Pretty much,” I managed to say, trying to stop being distracted by him and find a way out.

I could practically sense the smirk on his face. “That gives me a few ideas.”

I closed my eyes tight. “Take whatever perverted thoughts you just had and throw them away you creep!” I had been trying hard to control myself and act calm, but I just couldn’t help it anymore and started shaking.

“Relax love,” he whispered, “I won’t hurt you.” His hand took one of mine off his side and lifted it higher. “Well, if how thin I am interests you, than you might also want to see this.”