Jesse took her hand and started leading her into one of the sitting rooms. “And if something happens, I’ll just go save his sorry butt.”

I growled, clenching my fists once before following after them. “Alright, so let’s figure out where they’re going to be.”

“Are you sure you’re going to be okay?” Lizzy asked, giving me the cutes worried look.

I smile then glanced to Jesse, who had a blank expression with his arms crossed at the moment, and took her hand, pulling her into the hallway.

“I’ll be alright,” I whispered to her, pulling her closer and making her cheeks turn pink. I grinned. “I’ll go take them all out for you, don’t worry about a thing.” She smiled and nodded then quickly looked to the side. “But maybe you could give me a little incentive to come back?”

She blinked then turned to give me a confused look. “What do you mean?”

I smiled then leaned forward and pressed my lips to hers. She jumped in surprise then practically melted in my arms as she kissed me back. I pulled back and grinned at the huge blush on her cheeks.

“See you soon Lizzy,” I said softly, pulling away and grabbing the sword I’d left by the door. I headed into the forest with a new confidence, ready to take on the world to protect her. After several minutes I stopped and looked around. This was the place we’d decided they would be walking through.

I leaned back on a tree and waited. Just when I thought I might die of boredom, I heard someone approach and looked up to see seven vampires walking toward me. I smirked as they saw me, stopping to look me over.

“That’s all you brought?” I asked, standing up and showing my boredom. “This is going to be too easy.”

“You little brat!” One of them yelled. “Most of us are years older than you.”

“I know.” I looked up as I unsheathed the sword, a grin spreading across my face. “This is going to be fun.”

They crouched down, baring their fangs, then sprung forward as I lifted the sword.

Elizabeth

“Are you sure he’ll be okay?” I asked, pacing the floor.

Jesse sighed. “Yes, he’s fine.”

I bit my lip then smiled. “He’s so brave, going out there and fighting them all off.”

Jesse growled quietly, so quiet that I almost missed it. I turned away from him then suddenly bumped into something. A hand lightly grabbed my arm and I jumped then realized it was Jesse, he was suddenly in front of me.

“You know, I can fight for you too.”

I swallowed hard, not sure what he meant by that. Did he mean fight off the vampires that wanted to kill me, like Chance was right now, or fight to have me? Did he know what happened in the hall before Chance left?

Things went quiet and before it could get weird, I moved back and looked away. “I can’t just stand still, so I think I’ll just wonder around the house for awhile.”

“Want me to come with you?” he asked, sounding a little down.

I smiled but shook my head. “I just want to think.”

“Alright,” he said quietly.

I frowned, not liking how upset he seemed. Putting on a smile I walked over to him and held a hand out, finding his shoulder then giving him a hug.

“Thank you for everything Jesse,” I whispered, “I don’t know what I would of done without you.”

He wrapped his arms around me and hugged me tight. “I’ll be here when you’re done wondering around.”

I smiled and nodded then pulled away. Jesse was quiet as I made my way out of the room and up the stairs. I took slow, deep breaths as I walked down the hall, trying to clear my mind. Not only was I worried to death about Chance, but now I was starting to feel torn between the two brothers.

On the one hand, Chance was fun and exciting, never a dull moment. He always made me laugh and when it was just the two of us, he could even be really sweet. There were times that he scared me, but to tell the truth, I kind of liked that edge he had.

On the other hand, Jesse was always sweet and caring, always trying to make me feel safe and happy. Jesse always looked out for me and made sure I was alright. He was just amazing. But then there were all the things Chance had been saying about him.

I had been running my hand along the wall and froze when it fell through an open door. I thought for a moment, trying to remember which room this was. Hmm, one of the last ones in this hall . . . that’s where the boys’ rooms are.

I stepped inside and took a deep breath then smiled when I recognized the faint scent of Jesse’s cologne. I was really starting to like old spice. Chance’s advice suddenly rung out in my head; you should check out his room sometime. Run your hand over the walls and furniture, then see how you feel about him.

Timidly, I stepped farther in the room, nervous about what I was about to find. Slowly I made my way to a wall then reached out and laid my hand on it. Nothing. I moved it to the right then the left, and still nothing. I was about to make a mental note to smack Chance for tricking me when I suddenly felt something.

I slowly moved my hand farther down the wall then gasped as I realized that what I was feeling were deep claw marks in the wall. No matter which wall I felt, or where I touched, there were marks everywhere. I stumbled back into a table and reached out to steady myself, only to jump away again when I felt claw marks in the wood.

They were everywhere! Every wall, every piece of furniture I touched, everything in Jesse’s room was covered in deep claw marks. My heart sped up as I took it all in. Maybe Chance was right, maybe Jesse really was dangerous. I just didn’t know what to make off all these marks. How’d they get there!?

The door creaked behind me as it opened wider. “What are you doing in my room?”