XIV

It's late and the light from the lamppost outside filters in through the curtains.

It's late, and despite it being so, Sasuke can hear a few kids running around, splashing in the chlorine water of the pool downstairs. Naruto falls asleep at some point, but Sasuke remains awake, blond in arms.

'It's late,' Sasuke thinks, and his eyes glance over to where the phone screen lights up. He wonders when it had gotten all the way over there, but figures he must've thrown it aside the moment he realized Naruto was crying.

He knows it's Itachi. It's Konan's phone, but he knows Konan would've just texted instead of called.

He wonders if they'll be bringing his phone with them. He makes a mental note to remove and block all other contacts from his phone except Itachi, Pein, and Konan's. There's no reason to continue having ties with those he left behind anymore. He doesn't want any questions. Figures his friends would end up asking his parents and from whatever their answer might be, he hopes they'll understand. That, or just be deeply concerned. Either way, Sasuke feels he has no reason to care anymore.

A few more hours pass and he wonders just how late—or rather, how early in the morning it is. He can no longer hear the kids from late last night splashing around in the pool, but he does hear the sound of birds chirping.

Along with that sound, a buzzing sound. He wonders if he's just imagining it, but soon realizes it's his phone ringing and he doesn't make a move to reach out and get it. He doesn't want to move and startle Naruto, he doesn't want to move at all. His chest and part of his shoulder feels numb from where Naruto's head is, but he just doesn't feel like doing anything.

It isn't until he hears mumbling outside the hotel door does he realize what's going on and that it's okay if he doesn't answer his phone because he had sent Konan his exact location and at this point, Itachi and her must have finally made it here.

Three, four knocks on the door followed by an all too familiar laugh is what Sasuke hears and is startled more by the fact that Naruto was alerted and woken up, lifting his head at the sound of the loud knocking.

"It's Itachi," Sasuke calmly, tiredly says, yawning and Naruto can tell he hasn't slept at all. Sasuke, now that Naruto's off of him and startled awake, gets up to open the door. He's greeted by Pein and Konan first as Itachi walked away thinking they probably had the wrong door before realizing they were right all along.

"Why didn't you answer my call?" Itachi asked, clearly tired and worried. It was obvious he hadn't slept either, but Sasuke's dark eye-bags weren't as bad as the oldest Uchiha's.

"I was asleep," Sasuke lies and steps aside, inviting them in.

It's still early in the morning, around seven, and Itachi states that they won't be leaving just yet. Clearly, they're all tired—Itachi, more than others—and while Sasuke claimed to have gotten enough sleep, Itachi eventually catches on to his brother's constant yawning and tells him to sleep a bit.

Nothing much happens after that. Pein goes out while Sasuke and Itachi fall asleep, Itachi taking the unused bed while Konan and Naruto stay awake and pass the time either making small talk or eventually, taking a nap along with the brothers.

***

"Are you completely sure?" Itachi asks. It's been a few hours and now it's some time around three in the afternoon. All five of them are standing outside the hotel parking lot gathered around the two cars belonging to the Uchiha brothers. Pein and Konan stop their chore of gathering their things out of Sasuke's car while Sasuke tries to convince his older brother that maybe it's best if he keep the car.