He's always there for me, no matter what, and I haven't had many opportunities to properly thank him. The moment I try, he says he has something to do. I know it's not like he doesn't want to hear it, because he doesn't know I want to thank him. How could he avoid what he doesn't know is coming? But I'm usually upset because I never have a good time to thank him for being there for me all the time.

I guess, in a way, this song is a way of thanking him, if I play it right... Though the question is would he accept it. I could play all I want, but if it meant nothing to him, then there was no use in playing it, right? But there's that oh-so-slim chance that he'd take it to heart... Well, you know what? He used to love this song! Whatever the reason he's stopped asking me about it, it won't matter after I play it for him!

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, angling the bow on the violin.

'You can do this. It's alright. You know this song so well, you can play it with your eyes closed. You won't have to see the looks on his face as you play, so don't worry about any distractions. Just play the song, just let it flow from your heart, and nothing can stop you. You've got this, Eren. You can do it. One, two, three, four...'

As I counted slowly in the confines of my mind, I took deep, low breaths to calm myself. I wanted the tempo to be just right. Not too fast, not too slow... I wanted this song to count. I wanted this song to make a permanent mark on Levi's heart forever. I took one final breath as I tensed slightly, ready to play.

And I began.

I slid the bow across the violin at a slow pace. Instantly, I could feel my heart lighten, and I knew that I was going to be okay. After a couple of seconds, I drew my bow towards me, changing the note ever so slightly.

Soon, I could feel my spirits lifting, and I hadn't even gotten five notes in. I was eager to progress the song, I wanted to play it with the speed of a thousand horses in a chariot race, but I knew that I had to keep it slow. It was supposed to be meaningful, deep, and speeding up the song at all would take the emotion out of it.

I continued the song, my hands gracefully working together to create a work of art that could be displayed in a museum, had it been a physical object. My posture straightened and I moved the song into the next part, slightly faster, but much more... heartwarming. It was as if this song told a story. A story that could pull at the heart of millions, but only if truly listened to. If one simply heard the song, they would see nothing out of the ordinary about it, but for those who truly listened... for those who truly, honestly, lent their ear to hear the story that this song tells... It would no doubt move their heart.

When I got to my favorite part, I sang. My father, when he would play this song for me, never sang. This piece has gone on for too long without a story to tell, and today was the day I was going to breathe life into this longing work.

"Your grace and your love, they fly high above
The countless clouds that lounge in the sky

"Your power amazes me, your words enchant me
But none of it shows in your eyes

"If nothing else, take my hand and travel with me
The world waits for you

"If nothing else, give it all a chance and see
The wonders of the blue sea

"See that you are a free bird in the wind
See that you are more than a man

"Caged by the bars we call royalty
I beg you to come and see

"And you mean so much more to me and everyone than you think
But you, in your own world, are standing on the brink of disaster

"I'm here to make you happy
I'm here to bring you joy

"I'm here...

"For you..."

Ah, those words... There was no doubt in my mind that dear Levi knew that I directed them towards him. With so much meaning behind the words and the song itself, it was sure to make him remember the good times we shared in our childhood.

When I first played the song for him, I was 9. He was 14, I believe, but I'm not certain. He said that he'd loved the song more than anything. When I asked him why, though, he said it was because it sounded nice. I didn't think anything of it at the time, as I had not fully understood what I was singing myself. Now that I'm older, and gave this song the words it needed, I understand the true meaning behind it.

And, hopefully, Levi will too.

I smiled as I kept my eyes closed, playing the song purely by mental and muscle memory. The song slowly met it's end, the final note being played after a mere 25 seconds. I slowly let down my arms, having just realized how tired they were. I decided to put the violin back in it's case afterwards. As I kneeled and did so, I opened my eyes, and was almost blinded by the amount of light was in the room. 'Has the study always been this bright?' I asked myself mentally.

Once I was done, I stood again and looked at the couch where Levi sat. I smiled as I did so, beyond excited at that point.

But what I saw...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alright guys, I finally freaking updated! I know, it's been a while, but as I said in my Intro, (which, yes, I deleted. It was getting to be really annoying and guilt-inducing.) school decided to punch me in the gut. Guys, never take Honors English if you value your time, social life, and sleep.

Either way, it took me a while to update this. I started a couple days before Veteran's Day, but only got 400 words or so in. Then I added another 200 on Veteran's Day. Then yesterday, I got sidetracked after 100 more words, but luckily today I added a whopping 1,000 words! Oh, the things that Apple Radio can do for you.

Anyway, I hope you liked this chapter! And hopefully, since I'm almost done with the hardest section in Honors English, updates should come more frequently.

Vielen Dank für die Lesung!