I sighed and turned to Simon. “Can you believe them?”

Simon sighed, but didn’t respond. I was surprised by his silence. “Are you all right?” I asked.

“I wish I couldn’t feel what you’re feeling all the time.” Simon said heavily. “I don’t need to know you’re attracted to Eros even though he’s an evil creature.”

I gaped at him. “What?” I surely hadn’t seen that coming.

“There’s no need in denying it,” Simon said. “I could tell.”

“Oh, how wonderful,” I huffed. “So now you think you know everything? You also know I loathe myself for feeling that way? That I wish I didn’t feel that way? That I fight it? That I have no intention of acting upon it? That I am not even sure it’s me or some sort of left over from the mind control that is making me feel attracted to him? You know all of that? Or do you just base your whole opinion on one single feeling?”

“I’m sorry.” Without further words, Simon hugged me and held me close. Even though he didn’t speak, I knew what he wanted to say. Just that he was sorry and that he hated to fight with me. God – my relationship with Simon was really getting complicated nowadays.

“Let’s get going,” I said. “I need to meet my mom, remember?”

He let go of me and pushed his hair out of his face. “Right, let’s get going.”

At exactly twelve o’clock, Simon and I were standing in front of the pancake house in Creskville. I was trembling, wishing I could just go back to my dorm and hide under the covers, safely in my bedroom. Simon tried to calm me down, but it was no good. After a few minutes of just standing there, he pushed me to the entrance.

“You really should go now, or you’ll be late,” Simon warned me. “I’ll be at a table in the back, waiting for you, all right?”

I nodded. “Okay…”

“If there’s anything wrong, anything at all, I’ll know and I’ll come for you immediately.” He tried to assure me, but I was way past the point of responding to comfort. “Are you ready?”

“I’m as ready as I’ll ever be…” I decided nervously, pushing open the doors and entering the restaurant. It smelled wonderful in there, all of the familiar sweet smells of pancakes, sugar, cinnamon and warm apples merging into one amazing smell. I spotted my mother then, sitting at a table at the left, right next to a huge window that overlooked the spotless garden next to the restaurant.

“That’s her?” Simon asked, looking at my mother. When I nodded, he steered me toward her. “I won’t be far,” he promised. “Good luck.”

He hugged me closely, pulling me against him. The last waves of courage were being sent to me, strengthening me. When he let go and walked away, I turned back to where I’d spotted my mother and caught her looking. Great – there was no turning back now…

I walked straight to my mother and nodded briefly. “Hey.”

“Demona!” my mother said, surprised. “You look wonderful.”

“Thanks,” I responded reservedly, sitting down opposite her. I’d known my clothing choice would be appreciated.

“I hope you don’t mind I already ordered pancakes?” she asked nervously. “I picked the cinnamon-cherry for you.”

“That’s great,” I assured her, smiling at the prospect of getting a pancake soon. “You took the crispy bacon, I guess?”

“Well, no, I took the apple this time – I know how much you hate it when you have to watch me eating meat…”

“Oh, thanks,” I replied, startled. It seemed I wasn’t the only one who was trying to adapt in order to make this as pleasant as possible.

My mother smiled slightly and then leaned forward. “Who was that boy you came in with; was that Simon?”

I nodded. “It was. He came with me so we can go shopping afterwards.”

“Could I… well… would it be okay for me to meet him later on?” My mom looked embarrassed, not sure if this was something she could ask. “I would like to know who you’re friends with nowadays.”

“Erm – sure,” I mumbled, hesitating. I just hoped Simon would be okay with it. “So, what made you change your mind about talking to me about Dad?” There was no point in avoiding the subject, since it was the main point of us meeting here. My mother’s unease showed she still wasn’t completely okay with the whole situation, even though she was trying.

“I decided it wouldn’t be fair to keep this kind of information from you,” Mom said softly. “But you need to realize it is hard for me to talk about this, so this is taking me quite some effort, talking about him.”

“Sure,” I said, trying to make myself seem less hostile. She was really trying, so it seemed. “Let’s start with how you met him.”

The waiter arrived with our orders then, placing the delicious pancake in front of me. My mother had ordered me a big glass of Coke with it – she really did remember what I liked best. My mother took a bite of her pancake and smiled. She then took a box from under her seat and handed it to me.

“What’s this?” I asked. The box was fairly heavy, and big too. I wondered what she would have gotten me that would need a box this big.

“I packed some stuff you left behind,” my mother said with a little smile. “I was surprised you didn’t ask me for it yourself.”

I opened the box and found my plastic guitars, my three Guitar Hero games and my Wii. There also were a few more games in there which I used to play a lot: Mario Kart, Wii Sports, that kind of stuff. I gaped at my mother. “Thanks, seriously!” I’d never guessed she’d bring me this – she didn’t really approve of me playing all these games, she thought it wasn’t something a “young lady” should do. Lucky for me, I was hardly a young lady, so I didn’t think the rules applied to me.

“Well, I figured you and your friends might like to play some games after school.” She shrugged as if it was nothing special. “I know how much you like Guitar Hero.”

“I do – I’ve been playing it at Simon’s place for weeks now,” I told her with a smile. “He’s really good, he even beat me a few times. His room-mates sometimes play too, but they’re not half as good. It’s fun, though.”

“I assume Simon’s room-mates are all boys?” my mother asked, her expression disapproving.

“Yes,” I affirmed sternly. “Their names are Will and Antwan and they are really funny and kind. Simon shares his bedroom with Guido, but he’s a bit strange, so we don’t hang out with him much. They’re all witches.”

My mother didn’t comment on that, she just ate some more of her pancake. When I realized she wasn’t going to say anything until I spoke up, I sighed. “So – how about you start telling me about dad?”

========

Where can you order a copy of this book, you ask?

Create Space: https://www.createspace.com/4799393

On Amazon (but they barely give me any royalties).

Don't hesitate to message me about where to buy it!

Please like this story on Facebook and stay tuned about developments in the series: https://www.facebook.com/SupernaturalBoardingSchool