Eros laughed then – a very disturbing sound since it was fake and too loud. “Say hi for me, will you?”

On any normal day, I might have been able to take it. But not today, not now, not when I was already nervous. I took a deep breath to calm myself, but before I knew what was happening, I’d taken a step forward and I’d swung my first backward. Eros dodged my blow easily, but that had been exactly what I’d been hoping for. While he lazily ducked my first and laughed it off, I punched him in the stomach. His muscles were hard under his shirt, so it couldn’t have hurt much, but his pained groan was enough satisfaction for me.

I knew he was strong and fast, and if he wanted to, he could easily pin me against the wall or just get away from me in the blink of an eye; but he didn’t, he stayed. He was just standing there, slightly bent over with a hand on his stomach, waiting for me to make my next move.

“I thought you were better than this,” I whispered after a long moment of silence.

“Apparently, I’m not,” he spat.

“Demona, we have to go, or we’ll be late,” Simon urged, anxious to get me as far from Eros as possible. “Come on!”

I shot Eros one last look filled with contempt and then tried to push past him so I could leave. I should have known he wouldn’t let me go that easily: he jerked me back and grabbed my chin so he could hold up my head. “What – I don’t get a kiss goodbye?”

I pushed him off of me, feeling nauseous. I didn’t even feel like hitting him again; the fight in me had died out quickly. After everything that had happened last night, I didn’t feel like being very close to Eros, no matter the reason. Even hitting him meant physical contact, and that was the one thing I didn’t want to have right now. Sure, there were people around and most importantly, Simon was with me, but still. I didn’t trust Eros’ control anymore. He obviously couldn’t handle himself very well.

To tell you the truth – I was kind of scared too. Scared of what I might feel and do when I was close to Eros. And not just because of his mind control. Sure, he was awful, a real pain in the ass. He was insane and possible dangerous, but he was also a very sad and lonely person. And somehow in all of this mess, I could feel a strange kind of pull towards him, like I wanted to take him away from this mess and make him feel good about himself.

I’d always thought he was good-looking and ever since he had opened up to me, I had felt closer to him. I still thought there was more to him than anyone could tell by just looking at him. Even after what he’d done to me, I still felt like there was something there… Ever since that first kiss in that empty classroom, I’d wondered if there would have been a kiss if it hadn’t be for his mind control. And I think there would have been. Maybe not that night, but some night… I wasn’t going to risk there being any kissing after last night – but to be sure I had to steer clear from him all together. I had kissed him willingly after all.

Weirdly, I got saved by Sheila of all people. “Leave the little kids,” she proposed. “Let’s go somewhere... private. I think we need to… talk.”

“I don’t feel like talking,” Eros said soberly, still looking at me.

“Me neither,” Sheila agreed, baring her neck. “I’m sure we can work something out, though.”

Eros’ eyes were intent on mine while Sheila pretty much draped herself around him. It was like he was asking me to give him a sign or something, to say or do something to make him leave his friends. But I didn’t. I couldn’t. I didn’t want him anywhere near me today, and I wasn’t sure when I’d be ready to really talk to him again. Maybe never.

“Simon, let’s go,” I breathed, breaking the eye-contact with Eros.

The moment my eyes left his, he stepped out of the way so I could pass. Simon took my hand and pulled me through the hallway and out into the open sky. The cold air hit me and made me feel slightly normal again.