“When you touch me it’s really light but not hesitant, actually pretty confident. It’s very controlled, like you are taking care to not hurt me, but know that you won’t. When Chance touches me, it’s very careful like he’s afraid I’ll shatter into a million pieces.”

I noticed Jesse tense slightly. “Chance shouldn’t be touching you at all.” There was a smile in his voice, like he was trying to joke around, but there was also a seriousness to it.

“Not like that,” I said, blushing and pulling my hand away. “Just like when he takes my hand or catches my arm or something like that.”

“Do I scare you?” He asked in a whisper. There was a timidness to his voice that told me he was worried about my answer.

I turned my head away. “Sometimes.”

His hand lightly touched the side of my face, turning my head back to him. “But you know I’d never hurt you, right?”

I smiled and nodded. At least I was pretty sure he’d never hurt me.

“You are so beautiful,” he whispered, more to himself than to me, and lightly ran a hand over my thick, red hair.

“I feel at a disadvantage,” I said quietly, not able to speak any louder. “I don’t really know what you look like.”

“I could describe me,” he said in a hopeful voice.

I laughed a little and shook my head. “No.” I slowly reached a hand out to his face, pausing for a moment. “May I?”

“Yes,” he replied quietly.

I lightly traced his face with my fingertips, seeing the arch of his eyebrows, the curve of his eyes, every aspect of his face, in my own way.

“Wow,” I whispered, “you actually look like that.” I remembered seeing him here and there in my visions but just couldn’t believe he actually looked like that in real life, but he did. Better even.

When my fingers trailed over his lips, they parted slightly and one of my fingers slipped, feeling one of his sharp fangs. I gasped and quickly pulled my hand back.

Before I could pull all the way back, Jesse caught my wrist, holding it gently. “Don’t be scared,” he whispered, “and please don’t run from me again.” There was a hurt in his voice that made my heart ache. “I don’t know if I could take watching you leaving me standing here a third time, or sitting in this case.”

Wait, had he tried to kiss me before the kitchen thing? When had he tried to kiss me!? I don’t remember that!

“Elizabeth,” he whispered, leaning closer.

I blinked at the familiar situation and knew exactly what was happening, remembering seeing it earlier. My heart sped up, the wait making me more and more nervous. Then suddenly his lips were pressed to mine.

I closed my eyes and wrapped my arms around his neck, kissing him back. His kiss was sweet and gentle, but I could feel him holding back.

 After only a moment he pulled back. I closed my eyes, trying to focus.

“Even though I was expecting it, that was. . .” I trailed off, not knowing what to say.

“You were expecting me to kiss you?”

A small blush came to my cheeks as I pulled my arms back and folded them in my lap. “That’s what my vision was earlier.”

He chuckled quietly, pulling away and leaning back on the headboard. “It’s hard to surprise a girl with the sight.”

I smiled a little then looked to the side. “What did Chance say to you earlier? Where did you go?”

“It’s not important,” he said quickly.

“Oh, um,” I muttered, not expecting him to suddenly act so short. What was he keeping from me?

I scooted up and sat beside him, trying to think of something else to say. It made me uncomfortable to just sit there while he was still possibly upset about something. “So . . . it’s only you two and your father living here?” I asked, changing to subject. “That’s all of your family?”

“Well, we’re the only ones here at the moment. I’m not sure if father is bringing back more or not.”

I nodded slowly, slipping down and laying my head back on the pillow. “Well that’s half comforting,” I said with a yawn.

“Don’t worry,” Jesse whispered, “We’ll take care of you.”

I nodded, yawning again. Jesse chuckled. “It’s alright, sleep. You need the rest.”

I meant to stay awake, to keep talking until he left, but I was just so tired. My eyes closed and moments later I was fast asleep.