I gasped as my eyes opened up and quickly turned my head from side to side, momentarily freaked out by the darkness. Going back and forth between vision world where I can see and the real world where everything is black is very disorienting, I don’t suggest it.

“Are you alright?” one of the twins asked, his arm around me as he held me up.

I closed my eyes back, holding my head, then stepped away from him. “Yeah, I’m fine.”

“You had a vision,” Chance said with a smirk from a few feet away. I could hear the ice clanking against his glass as he swirled the contents around.

“Did you?” Jesse asked urgently from beside me.

I shook my head, massaging my temples with my fingertips. It just didn’t make sense. Why would I kiss him!? Just how far into the future was this? Because no way would I kiss him anytime soon! Right? Did I have feelings for him? No way, no way. Why was I having visions of my love life anyway!? That’s what didn’t make sense. What the heck!!

“El?” Jesse asked even more urgently, gently grabbing my arms and pulling them down. “Are you alright?”I nodded and he quickly continued. “Then what did you see?”

My eyes widened even though they couldn’t see anything and I looked between Jesse and Chance’s general directions a few times before quickly shaking my head.

“It was nothing.”

Jesse sighed. “El, if you saw something, we need to know about it. We’re supposed to be helping you, remember?” Yeah, well this was the one vision that neither of them would ever know about.

I shook my head quickly and Chance laughed, the ice clanking on the side of his glass as he took a drink. “She won’t say because it was about us, right?”

My eyes widened and I quickly moved away from both of them.

“Is that true?” Jesse asked calmly.

I opened my mouth to speak but nothing came out. Instead, my stomach growled loudly and I quickly put a hand over it.

“Oh yeah,” Chance said with a smirk, “Humans need to eat, don’t they.”

Jesse growled to him then sighed. “We don’t have any food in the house. You two stay here and I’ll go get something.”

His footsteps started retreating as Chance poured another glass. My eyes widened and I hurried after him.

“No, don’t go!” The last thing I wanted right now was to be left alone with Chance.

He lightly touched my arm. “You’ll be alright, he’ll watch after you. I’ll be back in a flash.”

“No!” I called as he moved away. “Don’t leave me with him!” But it was too late; Jesse had already gone out the front door.

I sighed and leaned back on the wall in the hallway.

“Ouch.”

I jumped at Chance’s voice then stepped back, not liking how close he suddenly was to me. I looked to the side, a little embarrassed that he heard that. Then again, how could he of not heard it when I screamed it to the world?

“Sorry,” I whispered, walking down the hall and into another sitting room. I’m pretty sure this one had a T.V.

I could hear him swirling the drink in his glass as he followed me.

“What are you drinking?” I asked, sitting on the arm of a small couch.

He paused for a moment, leaning on the back of the couch I was sitting on. “Whiskey.”

I spun around to face him. “Chance!! You can’t drink! You’re too . . . young.” I slowed down as I made my way through the sentence, realizing that regardless of his appearance, he was probably pretty old.

“I’m more than five times the drinking age,” he said with a laugh, “so chill.”

I thought for a second, doing the math in my head. “That means you’re over a hundred years old.”

“Yep,” there was a smirk in his voice, “and coming of age during the prohibition sucked! But no matter, we still found every hidden and underground bar in the state.”

“Wait, we?”

He sat on the back of the couch then spun around and slipped off, sitting on the cushion beside me. It didn’t sound like he spilt any of his drink either.

“Yeah, me and my twin, my partner in crime.” He took another drink. “We were pretty crazy together, watching each other’s backs.” He laughed. “Man, they were definitely the roaring twenties.”

I shook my head, not able to believe it. I could definitely see Chance running around getting into trouble, but Jesse?

“I just can’t see Jesse partying through the twenties,” I said with a small smile, shaking my head.

He laughed once then took another drink. “No, he was pretty crazy back then, when we were human. But the more time went on, the more boring and responsible he got.”

I turned my head and smiled to him. “He grew up.”

Chance sighed then wrapped an arm around me and pulled me down into the small space between him and the armrest I had been sitting on.

“It’s hard to grow up when you never, you know, grow up.”

His voice was softer now and though he was still holding me pretty close to him, his grip was very loose and I could easily get out of it if I wanted to. So why didn’t I move?

His face was turned toward me and I could feel his slow breaths on the side of my head. I had to say something, anything. I couldn’t let there be a silence.

“How were you turned?” I asked quickly, immediately regretting it. “I’m sorry,” I said just as quickly, “I shouldn’t pry.”

“It’s okay,” he said quietly, chewing on a piece of ice, “It happened so long ago.” Even though he was trying to brush it off, I could still hear the sadness in his voice.

“It’s kind of a long story though,” he said timidly, pulling me a little closer.

In that moment, he seemed so vulnerable and it just blew my mind. The big, tough Chance was actually vulnerable. Something about the way he held me closer made me realize that he really wanted to tell me, wanted to talk about it to someone. Though he’d never admit it, he actually needed me in that moment.

I leaned closer to him, leaning my head back on his shoulder. “I’ve got time.”