“Hey, look at that up there.” Chance said suddenly. “Whoa, that’s so cool. Jenna, go check it out.”

“Whoa, I’ll be right back!”

“Wait!” I yelled, but she was already running away. “What? What is it? What’s up there?”

“Fog,” he said with a laugh, “She is too easily amused.” His arm was suddenly around my shoulder. “Are you jealous Lizzy?” He asked with a smirk.

“Stop calling me that, and no! I’m not jealous, that’s ridiculous.”

I pushed his arm off my shoulder, but then he just wrapped it around my waist. “You seem jealous, really jealous. All you have to do is say the word and I’ll leave her alone and focus on you.”

“Oh no! You’ve definitely gone insane because the last thing I want is- hey!”

He had stopped walking and stepped in front of me, holding both arm around my waist and leaning his face only a few inches away from mine.

“What are you Lizzy?” He whispered. “Why can’t I figure you out?”

My heart picked up its pace again and I slowly reached up to touched his face, suddenly very curious. He held still as I felt his face; the shape of his eyes, the curve of his nose, the slight smirk on his lips. They parted and I quickly pulled my hand back.

“That’s exactly how I pictured you,” I said quietly, more to myself than to him. I now had a pretty clear image of him in my head, and it lined up perfectly with the image of him in my dream. How could that be?

“Do I look good?” he asked in a smug voice.

I rolled my eyes, even though he couldn’t see them, then pushed him away. “Get off me you creep.”

I heard him chuckle as I hurried toward Jenna, or at least in the direction she had gone off in earlier. “Jenna?”

“Over here,” she called. I lifted a hand as I got closer to her then relaxed when she caught my arm. “You okay?”

I nodded. “Yeah, I’m just tired. We should be getting back now, don’t want Jack to come hunting for us.”

She laughed a little as I pulled her toward the exit of the park. “Yeah, that wouldn’t be good. Hey! Slow down! We still have to say goodbye to Chance.”

“Bye Chance!” I yelled, not sure where exactly he was at the moment, and lifted my hand up as a wave goodbye.  

“Bye!” Jenna yelled back to him. “The kill-joy is pulling me away, but I’ll see you at school Monday!”

When we were back on the sidewalk, Jenna pulled me to a stop. “You wait here, the car isn’t too far. I’ll just pull it around and pick you up.”

“I can walk,” I said, leaning back on a lamppost and catching my breath.

She laughed a little. “I’m not sure why, but you’re all out of breath and worn out, so I just thought you should wait here and catch your breath while I get the car. Besides, I can see a huge crowd over there that we’d have to walk through and I didn’t think you’d want to go near it.”

“Yeah,” I smiled. “Maybe I should just wait here.”

She gave my hand a quick squeeze before letting go and hurrying down the sidewalk. “I’ll be right back!” she called.

I closed my eyes, relaxing and letting my pulse slow down. The night was almost over and soon I’d be safe and sound, back in my house.

“Well this turned out to be an interesting evening.” I jumped when I heard Chance right beside me. I didn’t even hear him walking up, he was just so quiet. How did he do that!?

“Uh, yeah. Interesting.”

“Though you do owe me now.” There was this dangerous tone to his voice that made me shiver.

I turned my head away, hoping Jenna would hurry up. “For what?”

He leaned in close then said quietly. “For scaring off my dinner.”

I spun around, trying to find him, but for all intensive purposes he was gone. I called his name, grabbed at the air, and listened closely, but nothing. I couldn’t find him. For all I knew, he was standing close by, watching and waiting to do something to me. My heart picked up its pace and I backed up to the fence that circled the park.

For scaring off his dinner? Did he actually just say that? No way could that mean what I thought it meant. And if it did, he had to of been joking. Yeah, that’s it. He probably guessed what I had been thinking and said that just to mess with me. That’s what Chance did; he messed with people. So it was just a joke then, right?

“Bethy!” Jenna yelled as she honked the horn, making me jump a foot. “Get in.”

She didn’t have to tell me twice. I hurried over to the car and climbed in, quickly closing, and locking, the door. I closed my eyes as she sped off down the street, telling myself over and over again that it was just a joke, just some stupid joke.