02 | lifetime

"He's new?" Alice asked as she jumped on my bed to take a look at the new neighbours. Although they weren't really new, they had been there for the past week. But since Alice had been away for that week somewhere in the Bahamas, she didn't know.

"Don't get too excited!" I said as I shook my head and walked into the closet to change into a new shirt.

"Well, do you know his name? How old is he? Oh my gosh! Is he hot?" The eldest son of the family next door is a year older than me. I haven't really seen him over the past few days but I've heard from a few friends that he's dead gorgeous. Of course, I can't say that without looking at him.

"No. I don't know. Yeah, I guess. Everyone seems to think so."

"Yasss!" She exclaimed as she rested her head in her hands and looked out the window. "Hey look!"

She pointed without an ounce of humiliation. There, a window has been opened, a boy with dirty-blonde hair paces, his lips moving quickly as he talks into a phone.

"He's so freaking hot!!!" Alice pretended to faint and then got up just as soon to stare at him more. "Do I look good?"

"He seems to think so," I said as I walked to my bed to take a seat. "Turn around sweetie."

Alice turned around and practically fell to the floor. "He was looking at me!"

I looked over at him and instead of seeming angry, he was smiling. Gosh what a cute smile. Instead of smiling back though, I glare at him. Hypocrite. I took my sketch book out and started to draw. Ignoring the boy at the window.

"Ooh what'd you drawing now?" She asked after giving a second look at the window. Moving her nonexistent hips to the side so he could take a look, but to her distaste, he leaves before even glancing at her.

Most of the time I don't know what I'm drawing. They just exit my brain and onto the paper they went. But this day, I definitely knew what I was drawing, afraid of what she would say I closed it shut.

"Not fair! I want to see!" Alice complained, pouting like a small child.

The door to my room opened reviling a beautiful middle aged woman. "Mom! How many times do I have to—"

"We've got visitors!" She said excitedly, looking at my shirt to make sure it was appropriate for the circumstance.

"Since when?" Alice and I asked in unison. We both laughed and headed downstairs. Alice in the lead of course. She has been my best friend since I could talk, but sometimes she can he on my nerves. She soberly perky and overly possessive. Taking what she wants when she wants. A quality I wish I possessed.

As soon as we got to the bottom stair, laughter so vibrant reached my ears.

"Oh, here they are!" My father said. I felt as my eyes widened with fear and I could feel my chest heaving. Instead of having a panic attack in front of them, I ran out. Tears welled up in my eyes. My cheeks were boiling hot. Not even the cool autumn breeze could cool me down.

I sat on on the bench on my backyard and tried to catch my breath.

"Are you alright?" Said a person in a British accent. And I knew before looking at him who it was and it made more tears well in my eyes.

"Yeah, perfect. Never been better!" I tried to tell him, although my breaths were coming faster and faster.

Although that usually made people leave, the boy stays in his spot. Looking down at me.

"Aren't you cold?" He asked quietly.

"No!" My voice came out a bit too strong, so I gulped and tried again. "It's boiling hot actually."

"You know what you're right!" He said nodding to himself as he took a seat beside me and shook his jacket off his shoulders. "Much, much better!"

He smiled at me then. I looked at him in astonishment. The heaving of my chest suddenly stopping, and I'm reminded of that one day in shook. No one has ever done that for me. Ever. And somehow, the panic that was rising within me, subsides.

"Names Isaac Newton." I blink several times. "What? Don't believe me?"

"You are not Isaac Newton!" I exclaimed, my voice sounded far better than before, and he noticed this for he smiled widely and shrugged.

"Well most people can't differ so..." a smile spread through my lips. "I may not be the real Newton, but I was named after him. I also happen to come from Britain, I think that's different for the both of us."

"Well no kidding!" I said.

"You're funny. I like you." The comment got me off guard. I could feel my cheeks getting warmer by the second. "You're name?"

"I'm-" I started but was interrupted by Alice.

"Hey, here you are! Mom wants you inside!" And without even bothering with it anymore, she left.

"You sisters?" He asked as he got up and pulled me along with him.

"No, we're friends but she's always here so she calls my mom, mom too."

"Ah, then I guess I should start too." He said as he flashed a smile in my direction.

"What do you mean?"

"Well since one day I'm going to marry her daughter might as well start now right?" He started walking.

"Wait what?!" I asked as I stopped in front of him. "We barely know each other!"

"Sweetheart, that's why we've got a lifetime to get to know each other!" He smiled and walked past me without, of course, giving me a peck on the cheek.

I can't myself but feel elated by the idea of spending time with him. I walk back inside and grab his hand in mine.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

I forgot how cringey I was. Gosh, but for s fetus me I was good. Thank you for reading this and commenting and voting. I cannot be more happy.