I reached up and touched them, almost forgetting I had them on. Other than when I was at home, I always wore my sunglasses. It usually made people uncomfortable when I didn’t, seeing as I wasn’t really able to look exactly at them and my eyes were clouded over.

Plus, I didn’t wanting anyone here to give me any special treatment and had planned on keeping my lack of vision a secret for as long as I could. Thus the sunglasses were staying on. One look at me and they’d all be able to tell I was blind. Not being able to look them in the eye was a dead giveaway.

“I’m fully aware that we are inside, I just like wearing them, okay?” My voice came out a little harsher than I had intended and I heard him sitting back in his seat.

“Okay. Didn’t mean to upset you miss . . .?”

“Elizabeth,” I said, tilting my head down toward the desk and turning my recorder over in my hands.

“Well my deepest apologies Miss Elizabeth.”

I smiled at his tone; it was actually rather sweet, and if I didn’t know any better, I’d even say a little flirty.

“I’m Jesse by the way.”

Before I could say anything, the bell rang and the teacher started in on the lesson.

“And oh em gee, his short black hair is just perfect. Usually I say nothing is cuter than the shaggy hair types, but he has just changed my mind. And that’s hard to do! And his face, oh,” Jenna sighed. “I’m sorry Bethy, but I just can’t find a way to describe him right. He is absolutely perfect. It’s like he freaking glows!”

I laughed a little. “What, is he radioactive?”

“You know what I mean!” she gave my shoulder a light push, but not hard enough to actually throw me off balance. “Well this is my next class here, but we’re meeting up for lunch by the cafeteria doors, right?”

“Right,” I gave her a nod, then waved as I kept walking. “See you at lunch.”

I was walking down the hall, doing just fine, until I came to a group of people leaning against the wall. I stopped just short of bumping into them then managed to find my way around them, telling myself to just keep walking slowly, everyone else would just walk around me.

I had almost made my way back to the safe wall when someone bumped into my shoulder, making me drop my bag and stumble back.

“Hey,” a somewhat deep voice said in front of me, “watch where you’re going.” Hey, I knew that voice. It had to be Jesse, Jenna’s ten.

“Me? You’re the one that bumped into me,” I said, feeling around on the floor for my bag, “You should watch where you’re going, Jesse.”

“Jesse?” he asked with a laugh. “Really? I don’t think anyone has called me by his name since we were five and actually looked alike.”

Wait, by his name? This wasn’t Jesse? But he sounded just like him, and I’m extremely good at telling voices apart.

“Are you brothers?” I asked, still feeling for my backpack.

“Uh, yeah,” his voice was closer now, like he was kneeling down in front of me. “Twins. But how would you confuse me with him? We don’t look alike. Well, I mean, it’s pretty obvious who is who.”

“Oh, um,” Crap, I’d made my first mistake. Now everyone was going to know I was blind before the first day was even up! And where the heck was my backpack?!

He cleared his throat. “Looking for this?”

I looked up at him, trying to act like I was actually looking, then slowly reached out toward him. My hand bumped a bag he was holding out and I quickly grabbed it, pulling it to me and discreetly feeling the front. Yep, that was my bag, no doubt about it.

“I’ve been holding it out to you for a full minute now,” he said, a smirk in his voice.

I quickly stood up, putting it over my back and dusting my pants off. “Well I didn’t see, alright? Now could you please get out of my way?”

He was quiet for a minute, probably looking me over. “Yeah, sure.”

I heard him step to the side and quickly moved forward, finding my way to the wall and hurrying down the hall. Unfortunately, he was following me. I could smell his cologne getting stronger as he stepped up beside me.

“So where are you going beautiful?”

I sighed loudly, hoping he’d get the hint. “Class, where you should be going.”

“Right, and what class would that be?”

“Mr. Shmelt’s English class.”

“Really?” There was that smirk in his voice again. “Because that’s what I have next, too.”

I stopped and turned toward his general direction. “But you were just going the other way.”

“It sounded boring so I was going to skip it.” Did this boy ever stop smirking? “But it just got a lot more interesting now.”

Oh lord. “Not interested bubby.”

“We’ll see about that, and the name’s Chance.”

His name was Chance? Seriously? I almost laughed at that

Before the jerk could harass me anymore, I ducked into the classroom and took a seat near the front. I listened closely, trying to follow his footsteps and see where he was going, but there were too many people coming into the room.

After several minutes passed, I let out the breath I had been holding, figuring that he took a seat in the back and wasn’t going to bother me after all.

“Look a little tense,” Chance said from right next to me.

I jumped nearly a foot, not expecting him to be there. I could have sworn nobody sat down in that seat, I would have heard it if someone did. And I have great hearing! But I didn’t hear him, not even the rustle of his clothes. How could he be so silent?

“Whoa, didn’t mean to startle you sweetheart.”

“It’s Elizabeth, alright jerk?” I looked down at my desk, pretending to busy myself with my recorder I’d pulled from my bag.

The smirk was in his voice yet again. “It’s just odd that I startled you so much, didn’t you see me sit down?”

“No, I was lost in my thoughts, okay?”

He chuckled low then was quiet for the rest of period. Great, just great. In one class I have the sweet, supposedly cute, calm brother, then in another class I have his obnoxious, evil twin. This was going to be a long semester.

Chance

I smirked, watching Elizabeth through the whole period. There was defiantly something different about her, something she was hiding, and I was going to figure out what it was. And if I couldn’t, at least she’d make a tasty snack.