CHAPTER 14

The Compound

2010

"Good Morning, Spartans. Today's forecast is cold. Snow storms and high winds are expected. Dress warm. Please report to your transport to be taken to your first battle by 0900. Have a good day, Spartans and remember, nothing is as it seems..." Anni's robotic voice spoke over the intercom system of the Compound. Xander lumbered out of bed to the sound of the strangest alarm clock he had ever had.

After bundling in a winter coat with the Spartan helmet logo patched to its arm, Xander walked outside surveying the snowy Compound. He traced the flurries to the high vents in the dome ceiling. The vents had leaked rain, blown wind currents to swirl about overhead and even increased the humidity during the Summer months, but never before snow. Xander took a moment to admire the engineering behind the Compound. It almost felt real today as white sheets of snow covered the Compound floor. It was a strange moment of awe until a snowball shattered upon his face. The sting of icy dew dripped down his neck as a giggle sounded to his right.

Xander followed the undulating note to meet the sight of red curly locks bounce behind the fence next door. Xander smiled and decided he could use a warm up before the battle. So, he threw himself down for cover at his own fence and began balling up snow balls. Once he had formed a small ammunition stash, he peeked over his fence. He could still see Fiona's tangled red mane through the fence. He fired off a round but her cover proved effective. Xander snatched his beanie off his head and propped it up so it could be seen atop the fence. To an onlooker it would look like the top of the head to a body that was stationed under the fence. Xander grabbed his snowballs and army-crawled along the fence toward the back of his house. He reached the end of the fence and barrel-rolled over it. He stayed low as he scurried along the back of Fiona's fence. He noticed she had many snow balls formed and was preparing for a full scale onslaught. Xander crouched out of sight. Fiona popped up and unloaded her snow balls at the decoy that Xander had laid for her. Fiona's stash of ammunition quickly became depleted. Flanking her successfully, she was easy-picking. He approached her casually, snowballs in hand.

"Out of snowballs?" She turned to him, surprised by his position. A smile came over his face as he hurled a few rounds at her from the side. She fell back into the pile of snow and put her hands up over her face, giggling uncontrollably.

"I surrender, I surrender!" Fiona squealed. Xander dropped the rest of the snow balls and smiled down at his victim.

"Good practice for the battle today, huh?"

"Obviously, I need some more!" she laughed back. He helped her up and they both smiled wide at each other, as she came up close to him. They took a moment with each other, locked in eye contact. She felt warm in his gaze - the building awkwardness between them could only be rooted in mutual attraction. Her pale skin blended in well with the snow, but her fox colored hair made it appear like the snow was afire. Her glacier blue eyes pierced him as he focused upon her. He immediately felt the friction between his feelings for her and his knew mission to spy on her. His eyes wanted to ogle over every inch of her but they had to remain locked on her gaze, searching her for her true allegiance.

Remain close; you don't want to raise suspicion by being distant. But keep your head, Xander, she's your mark.

"Come on, let's go." They joined the other Spartans gathered in the street as the large transport arrived. It looked like a Swat Team van – only larger. The Spartans loaded up in its back compartment and sat on either of the benches lining the interior wall. Colonel Hardy awaited them and began speaking as the transport pulled forward and out of the Compound. It was the first time since their arrival six months ago that they had left the Compound.