XXI. Practice Makes Perfect

Start from the beginning

Richard's jaw tightened. "Don't ever mention her name again if you want your woman alive."

"You still believe she killed her own friend?"

"Who else could it have been?"

"We have a lot of enemies, Richard. It could have been any one of them."

"Or it could have been me, right?" his brother asked bitterly. "Has this bitch poisoned your mind now? You really think I killed Jamaica?"

Theo shook his head. "I don't want to believe that you did, but I am inclined to think that way. Your desperation to get rid of the alleged witness to the murder doesn't make sense."

Richard impatiently scoffed. "If that woman witnessed who killed Jamaica, she also witnessed what transpired before that. She would have heard my argument with Petroff."

"Speaking of which, tell me why you were having an argument in the first place."

"He was with my woman."

Theo looked at his brother for a long time. "Tell me what really happened that night, Richard. I want to know where you were that night. You disappeared for quite a while and the next thing I know Jamaica was found dead."

His brother averted his gaze. "I don't have to explain anything. I didn't kill Jamaica."

"What were you planning that night?"

"What makes you think I was planning anything other than doing our job?" his brother asked with disbelief.

"You wouldn't be this desperate to kill the witness if she didn't hear anything other than your jealous fight with Petroff."

Richard turned away from him. "I wasn't planning anything."

Theo let it go for now. He'd have to be cautious around his brother. Richard was up to something and it might jeopardize his own plans.

*****

Desiree woke up without the twins.

At first she didn't realize where she was when she opened her eyes. Her body felt very tired all of a sudden. It took her a few seconds to remember what had transpired before she fell asleep.

"Good. You're awake. We're nearly home." Theo's voice was low beside her.

She almost jumped out of her seat. Looking out the window, she realized that they were inside a hangar. Her eyes scanned the plane. "Where are the twins?"

Theo gave off a sigh as he checked his watch. "They've been taken not five minutes ago."

Her reaction was that of dread. She had the urge to smack Theo's calm face with her fist. The only thing that kept her from doing so was the intense rage she felt inside—and the thought that she should have seen it coming.

This was the plan from the very beginning.

Her hands balled into a fist and Theo saw it. "You know this is going to happen."

It took all her control to lean back against the seat and breath. "I know. But you should have at least allowed me to say goodbye."

"I didn't see any point in that." He stood up and started for the door.

"They must have been very afraid and lost and confused."

He stopped but did not turn his head. "But at least they're safe now."

"You mean at least you were able to do your job and got loads of money for it."

Instead of striking back, he said, "We have to go."