Open Relationship

Start from the beginning

To be honest, I was looking more into teaching. I was almost finished with school, after taking mostly online courses and classes where I could fit them. I felt that at twenty-two I had done fairly well so far. Hollis was two-years older than me, and from what I could tell, she just wanted to get married and have children. The way the guys at the station acted around her, I was sure it would happen. She just had to stop being so picky. I suppose I shouldn’t talk. I didn’t have a boyfriend either, or any one I was interested in at all. I guess I was just as picky as her.

“The rush is going to start soon. Where is James? Oh, there you are.” Wes had come out from the back looking just as handsome as ever. I had to give my brother that, he was very attractive. He was just as single as us though. Whenever I asked him why, he always responded with “Eh, no one’s jumped out at me yet.”

“Yes, here I am. Are you working the floor tonight? I was kinda hoping to walk home with you.”

“Er, actually I’m closing up tonight. So once you don’t mind staying, then sounds good to me.” He walked behind the bar and shoved me. “By the way, you’re working the floor. I’ve got the bar.”

“Aw, please no. Come on!” I begged. I didn’t go to classes to be a bartender to have to work the floor like a waitress.

“Tell you what. You work the floor, give me the bar, and I’ll give you half my tips.” Wes really hated working the floor, but so did I. I constantly got pinched and whistled at. I tried to look mad at him, but failed. He always made good tips because all the girls thought that would get his attention.

“Fine.” I grabbed a tray and got out from behind the bar.

“Thanks, best sister ever.” He said in a sweet voice and I grunted at him.

The club opened at about seven, so the doors were about to open. “Hey, big crowd coming in.” Jeff, the bouncer announced to us, poking his head inside. He was a big guy, but a sweetheart. However, if I didn’t really know him, I would be scared too.

“Hollis, do you mind helping James on the floor then? Abby called out tonight, so it’s just us and Jack.” Wes yelled out to Hollis who was helping the band get on stage.

“What? Come on! It’s my night off!” She whined.

“Just get your butt back here and put on an apron.” He snapped and she pouted, but obliged nonetheless.

“In a mood are we?” I asked Wes and he let out a long sigh.

“Today’s not been my day. The piano was out of tune, the bassist sprained his wrist or something like that. Our liquor orders got all mixed up and I had to sort all that shit out. Anyway, you could say that I’m definitely in a mood.” I gave him a pat on the back over the bar and he narrowed his eyes. “It’s a good thing I’m not letting you work the bar. You have those things just out there, watching people…”

“What are you talking about?” I asked, confused.

“Those…” he pointed to my chest and I let out a snort of laughter.

“Hey, when I have a little more cleavage, I get better tips. It’s not my fault most guys are sleazebags.”

“Opening the doors!” Jeff announced and I put my hand up to signal the band to start. I instantly smiled when the music started and I recognized it as Is You Is or Is You Ain’t My Baby. I had a special place in my heart for jazz, especially swing jazz. I heard the chatter of outside as the people filtered in from the door and took seats around the club. Jack was helping Wes at the bar, so it was just Hollis and I on the floor. I secretly cursed Abby for abandoning us. It was Friday night and extremely busy. It wasn’t long before all the tables were full. I gave Hollis an exhausted look and she mirrored it before we started the rounds.