You Deserve Better: Larissa + Pj

Larissa

“Larissa, c’mon! We’re going to be late for dinner!” I finished my last coat of purple nail polish on my right hand and ran out of the bedroom, swinging my hand to dry the paint.

“I’m coming!” I called, trying not to sound as irritated as I felt. We don’t even have to go out for dinner! I’m okay with just some Chinese takeout.

I ran my left hand [the paint was already dry] through my brown hair and trotted out the door, waving goodbye to my chickens that where walking around in their pen on the side of the house, “Bye-bye, my darlings!” I grinned, shaking my head at how odd I was.

I hopped in the car next to Gav and barely had the door closed as he started driving down the street. “Where are we going?” Gav’s hands tightened on the steering wheel, making me a little nervous, did I do something wrong?

“We’re going to a new restaurant downtown.” Was all he said, no trace of happiness in him. I just nodded and started staring at signs as we passed, counting the letters. Something that became a sort of habit that developed from being around Gav. I liked the distraction whenever he was angry with me, though he hated that I did it.

Delancy Street. 7 and 6. 13.

I mean, I don’t know why he hates it. It’s not like I’m causing any harm.

Stop. 4.

I took my eyes off the road and looked down at my skinny jeans, I guess I should stop anyways. It’s a big waste of time. We drove in an awkward silence for a while before he pulled into the parking lot. I looked up and saw a big building looming over our small car.

Okay. I guess we’re here. I avoided looking at the name of the restaurant as we entered, not wanting to count up the letters. I should stop that.

Gav grabbed my hand and I tried to smile at him, see? It’s fine. We’re fine. He asked for a table for two and we were seated in a booth at the back of the restaurant.

“So,” He said, clearing his throat, “How was your day?” I pushed the silverware off of the napkin and took it in my hands, placing it in my lap as I fiddled with it, hating how nervous he made me. I mean, it’s been over two years and I still can’t relax around him. He just has such a temper… He’s like a minefield, one wrong step and boom.

“It was fine,” I replied, forcing a smile on my face, “How was work?” He nodded to himself, sitting back in the booth,

“Fine… A couple jackasses have been getting on my nerves… But, you know, the usual.” I nodded and bit my lip, not really knowing how to respond. The waitress brought us our menus and I felt like I was going to puke.

Chicken salad. 7 and 5. 12.

Burger with fries. 6, 4, and 5. 15.

Lemonade. 8.

Pulled pork sandwich. 6, 4, and 8. 18.

I closed the menu and decided to just go with the burger. It’s easy. I placed the menu on the table and looked up to see Gav staring back at me, some anger in his brown eyes.

“What?” I asked, raising my eyebrows.

“Already decided?” He asked, directing his view to the menu, though his tan face went red. I ran my fingers through my hair and nodded,

“Yeah, I was just going to go with the burger.”

“You were counting.” It wasn’t a question, but my face paled as I looked down at my nails, already chipping from wringing my fingers.