Moody Blues: Part 2

Depuis le début

"Wazzupwithowl?" Ron mumbled.

"Must you always talk with your mouth full?" snapped Hermione. "It's disgusting!"

"Er... sorry!" said Ron after hastily swallowing. "I was just wondering when Hedwig became your owl?" he asked with a little chuckle. Harry raised his eyebrows and gave Ron a look.

"For your information, Harry shares Hedwig with me because he's kind like that," Hermione retorted coldly. "And Hedwig was just returning from my mum's with a birthday present."

"Oh!" Ron's ears reddened and he looked away, returning his attention to his dinner plate.

Hermione returned her own gaze to the parcel and the envelopes which Hedwig had brought her and gasped. Harry peered at the envelope and glanced at Hermione's stricken features.

"Are you alright Hermione?" he asked quietly with concern.

"I... I'm not sure Harry," she replied. "I... I think I'm going to go now..."

"D'you want me to come with you?"

"Y...yes please! If you don't mind," she peered at Harry gratefully as he pushed his half eaten plate of dinner away.

Ron stared after them as they departed. Lavender, who had been sitting on the other side of Hermione, whispered in Parvati's ear. Parvati nodded and they both stood up and left the table as well.

"What's that all about?" Neville asked Ron.

"No idea," said Ron with a shrug.

Sitting together on the sofa by the fire in the Gryffindor common room, Harry put his arm around Hermione and gently rubbed her back. Heart pounding as her breath quickened, Hermione set the parcel and the envelope from her mother on the table. She peered at the other envelope in her hand, afraid to open it. Harry gave Hermione a kiss on the cheek, and they both turned their heads when they heard the entrance to the Gryffindor tower open again.

"Do you mind if we join you?" asked Parvati, looking concerned.

"It's just... I saw you'd got something from your father," said Lavender awkwardly, turning a bit pink. "I'm sorry... I know you've got Harry, but... but..."

"We just wanted to see that you're alright," Parvati finished for Lavender. "We'll leave if you just want to be with Harry..."

"No! That's alright - please stay!" said Hermione with a tearful smile. "Thank you! You're the only others besides Harry and Luna that I've ever talked to about... about..." Hermione couldn't quite bring herself to say it.

Parvati and Lavender both gave Hermione a hug and sat on the other side of her as Harry smiled gratefully at them. Hermione looked at the envelope a moment longer. It had clearly been posted to her mother first, instead of being sent directly to Hogwarts, and she'd sent it on with Hedwig. Hermione wasn't certain what that meant, as her father knew very well that wizards monitored the muggle post for letters sent by muggle parents to their children at Hogwarts.

Feeling braver with the extra support, Hermione finally opened the envelope. There was a letter with the birthday card contained inside. Harry, Lavender and Parvati all leaned in to read it with her as she held it in her trembling hands.

Dear Hermione,

Happy Birthday!

I know that we haven't spoken in quite some time, and I don't know what your mother told you about me after you left. It's true, I was very cross, and for that I am sorry. I was perhaps a bit more forceful than I should have been. I didn't mean to frighten you, and I didn't mean to hit your mother. It was a momentary lapse of judgment and I promise it will never happen again.