Chapter 2 - Vigilantes aren't that bad

Start from the beginning

Instead, everyone was looking at their phones or talking excitedly with their neighbor about something or other.

"Olly!" My best friend, Ian Thompson gestured from our corner of the classroom.

Now, before I continue I must explain the complex creature that is Ian Thompson to you. Ian is, to say in the least, my best friend. He is smart – like insanely so. If he his mom wasn't the Secretary of State than he would've definitely made it into Eldredge with a full-ride scholarship, like me, but he doesn't know that. Ian is one of those people who try not to act smart, but occasionally they'll say something you'll have to be reminded at how smart of a human being they actually are.

Ian is a red-head, which, for some reason, does not subtract from his good looks at all. Like, red hair normally makes guys look like abnormally tall leprechauns, but not Ian. Perhaps the only reason girls aren't totally overtaken by him is his personality. Ian is a jokester and a conspiracy theorist. He could give you an illuminati theory relative to the best of them and prank the Headmaster at the same time.

He had that sort of look about him that made you immediately think "troublemaker," whilst I had that sort of look that made people think that I walked straight out of a YA novel, blonde hair, blue eyes, and a nice persona that could make everyone, perhaps except for Mrs. Solace, like me.

It was a wonder why we ever became friends in the first place.

"Olly, you've got to check this out, I've got a new candidate for possible Captain Impossible." He said, thrusting his phone into my face.

Ahh, and that's is probably the other reason why we make an unlikely pairing.

Ian Thompson is the single biggest enthusiast of finding out mine and David's identities that I have ever met (Well, out of the ones who aren't in jail or incapacitated). He comes up with a new candidate for Captain Impossible every so often. He wanted to be the first to reveal his identity to the world, just to say that he did.

You might be able to see where we come into conflict with this.

You see, supers have secret identities for a reason. For one, villains can't use anyone you know against you if they don't know who you know. Also, how are you supposed to live a normal life when everyone knows that you're a super?

I'm sure that I've mentioned this before, but a recent incident like this happened over in Empire and Iris Cities. Some girl called Meredith Temple released the identities of all the resident supers about a month ago, and the results were not pretty.

Most of the supers were young compared to most standard's, meaning they were still in college. I doubt that they could ever walk through a regular street ever again without being outed out as superheroes.

(And, as I stated before, Sonic, or, more accurately, Arabella Jones's, own father turned out to be the ex-mayor of Empire City. You know, the one who kidnapped all those supers two years ago and tried to make them turn evil? Yeah, that one.)

(The super event was dubbed The Revealing)

But that doesn't mean that there aren't some supers that release their identity to the public. Like Golden Eagle before, you know, he went crazy.

But I quite liked the life I was living in now, and so did David. That meant that I was to give no clue to Ian about who I was – ever. Man, if he knew White Lightning was sitting next to him at this moment, he would freak, that's for sure.

Ian showed me a picture of this twenty something year-old guy with dark hair and glasses. I knew automatically that this guy wasn't Captain Impossible. In fact, I remembered seeing his face in the crowd when we arrested Two-Face this morning (I have a photographic memory). It wouldn't take long for Ian to figure that out and start all over again.