Chapter 14: The Light is Back On

JAZMINA'S POV

I was hiding behind a tree in this guys' front yard with Nik standing next to me while Stefan was hiding behind a different tree on the other side of the lawn.

A girl came out.

She had shoulder length blonde crimped hair. She was wear a pink and white striped tank top and blue denim shorts. She didn't have any shoes on her feet since she was just walking on the lawn.

"Rudy." She called out then whistled. "Rudy! Come on. It's too hot to make me come looking for you." She bent down to look under the bushes.

When she came back up she jumped back and gasped because Nik was just standing in front of her.

He used an American accent to talk to her. "I am so sorry I didn't mean to scare you."

"Can I help you?" She asked and smiled at him.

"Yeah, my, uh, my car ran out of gas a couple miles back. I feel like I've been walking forever. Yours is the first house I've come to, so I was just hoping I could use you phone."

The smile slightly dropped off her face. "Don't you have a cell phone?" She asked.

Nik pulled out his cell and showed it to her. "Heh. Yeah. Battery died. Look, I promise I'm not a serial killer. I just want to use your phone."

She sighed and shrugged her shoulders. "Sure."

"So I can come in?" Nik asked.

"No." She said with attitude. "I'll get the phone and I'll bring it out to you."

She turned around and started to walk towards her house.

Before she could get to the steps, I sped in front of her.

"Hey! You don't talk to him like that. I thought country folk were supposed to be more respectful and trusting."

She took a step back away from me. "I'm from Florida." She said cowering back.

"Well, that explains it." I said and grabbed her throat.

"Now show us some Southern hospitality. Darling." I compelled her.

Nik and I walked into the house once the girl invited us in.

We closed the door behind us, and immediately we heard a voice from another room. The kitchen from the sound of it, so that's where we walked to.

"I bet you a hundred dollars that dog ran off to a house with air conditioning." The girl turned around. "What's going on?" She asked worried.

This new girl had just a bit darker shade of caramel. She had curly hair just a little past her shoulders. A red tank top underneath a grey button up shirt.

"Please don't be alarmed." I said while holding onto the blonde.

Nik then steps out in front of me and says, "I'm told Ray Sutton lives here."

"He's almost never here. He's on the road mostly." The brunette responded.

"But, he makes it home...once a month, does he not?" Nik asked with a little playfulness in his voice.

The brunette didn't respond to Nik, and she got even more scared.

"That's what I thought." He said and looked at me with a smirk. "Where is he now?"

When she stood there not saying anything, I intervened.

"If we have to make you tell us, it's gonna be infinitely more painful for you....and your friend here." I said.