Chapter 33

She had decided that nothing could tempt her back onto a plane and the best alternative was to take the train. So there she was, sitting once more by the window watching the scenery pass as a book sat ignored on her lap. She had shipped two boxes of her belongings ahead and packed the rest in her luggage. She had three of them with her; two large luggage's, a carry-on, and a duffle bag. All of them were packed to the brim.

Her brother had called her while she was meeting with the realtor, he had sounded distressed over her arrangement. She promised that her wedding wouldn't overshadow his, they would plan it far enough out that his late April wedding wouldn't be interrupted. He had not been amused with her joking and asked her if she was really alright.

She felt like a bird that had been trapped in a cage for some time, scared and hiding in the corner, but now she had found the key to that cage and she could be free. Jeff hadn't been her cage, her grief over his death had been; she hadn't realized how much she had restricted herself. At first she had feared that she was running away, but then she realized she was running toward the rest of her life.

The conductor announced they would be arriving at the station in 15 minutes and Jemma was roused from her thoughts. She glanced down at her book once more but it was useless to try and continue when she hadn't been paying attention in the first place. With a sigh she closed the book and put her hand on top of it, a girl in old age clothes peeked out at her from between her fingers. It was a historical romance Candice had loved. She slipped the book into her purse before crossing her legs, trying to get comfortable for the last stint of the train ride.

She smiled at the woman across from her, it was a natural human response when someone was staring at them. The woman seemed to recognize her, and was beginning to fidget as she came under Jemma's gaze. For a moment Jemma couldn't imagine where she could know the woman from and then like an overlooked answer, she remembered everyone who had seen the news would know they had gotten engaged.

She finally leaned forward, tentatively asking, "Are you Ms. Jemma Turner?"

"I am," she said with a little unbelieving smile, unsure as to what may come next.

"Will you take a picture with me?" She said, her aging face took on a childish amusement.

"If you want me to," Jemma said as the woman hastily pulled out her phone, "It seems I have caught more of the public eye then I thought."

"My sister idolizes you," the woman replied as she sat down next to her, "She lost her husband to cancer last year and you make her hope there is a second chance at happiness."

Jemma paused as she was about to smile properly for the picture when her face scrunched up as it was overtaken by emotion. She smiled properly before the picture snapped on her phone and the woman went back to her seat. She had to clear her throat before she was able to ask, "What is her name?"

"My sister's name is Nancy Wells," she said excitedly as the woman started texting on her phone, "She is going to be overwhelmed that I was able to meet you."

Jemma couldn't help but chuckle at that, "You are starting to embarrass me, I was a regular woman just last week and now I am taking pictures like a celebrity."

"I don't think you were ever a regular woman," she answered honestly her eyes widening, "I know this may embarrass you more but it takes a special type of person to be able to accept such a change and embrace it."

"Thank you," Jemma responded sincerely, "I can assure you this is not where I thought I would be last year."

"It is amazing where life takes us," she answered putting her phone away as the conductor announced their arrival into the station.

"It is definitely unexpected," Jemma said offering her hand, "I never did get your name."

She eagerly slid forward in her seat and took the offered hand, "My name is Sharon, Sharon Vidilti."

"It is nice to meet you Sharon," Jemma said as people began to filter off the train, "Tell your sister she doesn't need to let her husband go, just the grief of losing him."

"I will," she said picking up her single luggage before moving into the aisle, "Goodbye, Ms. Turner."

"Goodbye, Ms. Vidilti." Jemma said standing as one of the trains employees brought her the two large luggage.