Chapter 14

Candice's apartment was exactly she had remembered it, a lot of black and whites, with splashes of neon pink. Her bedding was zebra print and she was proud of it. Jemma had insisted that the spare bedroom be a little tamer. Candice had gone with a bright blue and black; the bedding was a more feminine style and Jemma was grateful for small miracles. 

Jemma had settled in comfortably and told the medical center she usually got referrals from that she was currently in New York and taking cases within the area. She planned to start immediately, once she got a case. She had only done 14 cases since she started and finished her Ph.D., but all of them had been successful. She sent some of families Christmas cards every year and called the boy from the fire every year on his birthday.

Michel had been her hardest case, he had not responded to her attempts at first. Jemma had feared without someone to love him he would retreat further away and nothing could tempt him back. He had a cousin he was close to, and Jemma had used her as a way to gain access into his world, he had resisted at first. However, within a year he was like any other little boy on the street.

Jemma was so proud of him, they had grown attached to one another and even though Jemma no longer treated him, she couldn't help but still care for him. His adopted family, who had been friends of the family, called her every once in a while to give her an update. Now that she had been a victim of sudden and devastating loss she suddenly felt like she understood her job better.

Pushing the curtains back from the windows, she looked out into the busy street with a half-smile. As she stood there looking out over the tops of the buildings she wondered if Candice was happy running around Europe again. She was in Sweden working on a merger, as a third party arbitrator.

It has already been a month since their return and although Candice had offered to stay, Jemma had insisted she return to work. Knowing her friend was antsy to get out of the country and back to work, Jemma didn't have the heart to keep her. Candice had drug her all around town, shopping, dancing, and doing every girly distraction Candice could think up.

Her cell phone rang and she walked across the room to see who it could be. Candice wouldn't be calling her until closer to noon, right before she went to bed, if she did at all. Picking up the phone a smile stretched across her face at the caller ID.

Tapping the answer button she pressed it to her ear, "Hello."

"Oh good, I was afraid you might still be sleeping." Mary's voice was relieved on the other line.

"Nope, I hardly ever sleep past 9." Jemma answered, thinking about how nice it was to get back into her routine.

"Good luck on my part," Mary replied, "Listen Jemma, I have a small favor to ask."

"Is something wrong Mary?" Jemma said, instantly on alert.

"No, it is just that Maddie went into labor and she is a little early so the Vet is worried," Mary was talking about Maddie her Labrador, "I promised Eric I would be his date to a charity function tonight but I can't leave Maddie. I don't know anyone who lives in New York that Eric knows. He respects you and I know you have more than a few classy dresses. If I had the body still, lordy I would show you a good run for your money."

Jemma bit her lip, she was instantly torn, she wanted to help Mary but she didn't want to go out to a public function. Sighing as she listened to as Mary explained the situation but by the end of it she was laughing. She paced through the living room into the bedroom.

"I would be honored to be considered a suitable substitute for you." Jemma responded, playing with a pair of earrings that was sitting on the dresser.

Mary was chuckling on the other line, "I owe you dinner."

Her voice was suddenly far off like she had turned her head away, "Her contractions are closer together?"

Jemma strained her hearing but the other voice ended up just being inaudible.

Quite suddenly Mary was back on the line, "I have to go dear, the event is at seven, Eric will pick you up."

Jemma stared at the dead line, and for a moment she wondered how Eric had known where she lived. Then she remembered that Candice had told Mary directions to get there when she had come to dinner. Candice said she wanted someone to be able to keep her company if Jemma suddenly got lonely.

Jemma looked at the clock, it was only a little past noon, and she wouldn't have to be ready until close to six. That gave her the better part of six hours to get ready, meaning she could go grocery shopping like she had planned and meet her dad for lunch at one. More than enough time or so she had thought.

-          -

She was pulling her hair back into a large bun at the corner of her left ear when the buzzer went off. Glancing at the clock, her eyebrows furrowed together because it was only 5:30pm. Slipping the last of the pins into her hair she tugged the robe around her tighter before going out into the room.

Pressing the buzzer down she said as clearly as possible, "Who is it?"

"Were you expecting anyone else?" Eric's voice was amused and for an instant Jemma forgot that she didn't want to go.

"You're early." Jemma said, waiting a moment before pressing the button.

Walking back to the room she pulled on a dark blue dress that was a tight fit all the way to her knees. It had a fanned bottom that allowed her to walk without any hindrance. It had a heart-shaped top, with thick straps that had started small and got bigger to the top of her shoulder before going back small on the back.  She planned to wear black heels with a big matching blue bow at the back.

Her doorbell went off and she snatched the set of sapphire earrings off of the dresser. Pushing them into her lobes she walked to the door yelling she would be right there. Straightening the front of her dress on impulse she took a deep breath and opened the door.

He turned back around as she swung the door open and she was instantly hit by the sight of him. In her grief she had undervalued his attractiveness and now it hit her full force. His face spread into a genuine smile. He wore a standard tuxedo, but it looked better than that on him.

"Blue suits you much better." Eric's voice matched his smile, cheerful and attractive.

"It is my favorite color," Jemma said stepping back, "Is there a reason you are so early?"

His eyebrows shot up, as he stepped into the room, "I am running late because there was an accident on 16th."

"Late?" Jemma said, and sighing as an idea dawned on her, "I am guessing this charity event doesn't start at seven."

"The dinner starts at seven, but the event itself starts at six," Eric said as she walked back toward the bathroom, "Forgive my grandmother she loves that dog."

"You are lucky I decided to get ready early," she called from the bathroom, pressing a few more pins into her hair where a few strands had escaped, and thankful she had done her makeup earlier.

"There is no reason to rush, everyone is late to these things," Eric said, glancing around the apartment nonchalantly.

"I hate to be late," Jemma said, walking back out into her bedroom and stepping into her shoes.

"So do I." Eric agreed, going to the window that overlooked the street.

Picking up her clutch purse and pulling on her gray peacoat she watched him a moment. He could have any woman on his arm, but he had asked his grandmother to attend with him. Pushing her silver bracelet out from her coat so it wasn't stuck on her arm, Jemma made a move toward the door.

"Ready?" Jemma asked buttoning her coat.

"It is a bit chilly, do you have a scarf you can wear?" He asked turning back to her.

Jemma walked across to the coat closet and put on a black scarf that belonged to Candice, before saying, "Better?"

"Much." He answered strolling over to the door and holding it open for her.

Jemma smiled as she walked out the door and suddenly felt that maybe the night might not be completely awful.