Chapter 11

"You are the best friend ever," Candice said pressing her face against the plastic of the airplane's window.

"You've seen Italy before," Jemma said with a smile as she leaned forward and looked out at the window around Candice's head, "Twice."

"Both times for fashion shoots in Milan. Florence and Rome will be a first!" Candice informed her with a bit of elation in her voice.

"Welcome to Florence then," Jemma said with an amused smile. No matter how many times Candice good on an airplane, she always seemed so excited about what lay beyond the airport. The seatbelt sign chimed above them and was no longer illuminated.

"I skimmed over the itinerary you sent me and man did Jeff have it lucky. You planned everything, right down to the best possible restaurants." Candice said unbuckling her seatbelt. "Since you paid for this trip and I am paying for everything else."

Jemma opened her mouth to argue and Candice put up a hand, "No arguments!"

They stayed at Hotel David, right on the outskirts of Florence, so they decided to take a taxi. It cost 20 euros and 3 more per each luggage. She had never before contemplated jumping from a moving car before in her life. The Italian's drove like kamikaze pilots, barely adverting disaster around every curve. Candice had experienced the same thing in Milan and was prepared for the mania, but Jemma clung to her seatbelt like it was her lifeline.

Once they got there and checked in, Jemma had calmed down enough that they were laughing about it. If that wasn't enough the room was pink and pink and very pink; Candice loved it, Jemma would tolerate it. Riding the excitement after being on the plan for almost nine hours, they left soon after depositing their luggage. They visited the Santa Croce church, where Galileo Galilee, Dante, Michelangelo, and Machiavelli were buried. Then they visited the Domo with its painted ceiling and amazingly beautiful craftsmanship from ceiling to floor and wall to wall.

They went the 260 odd steps up one of the towers to look across all of Florence. Candice made a snide remark about how those stairs at her dad's place helped her go up and down the bloody thing like she was in the Olympics while Candice suffered. Jemma slowed down and said that Candice was made for running after cute guys not climbing stairs after them. In short, the trip down was a lot easier than the trip up was. Across the square from the Domo they exchanged currency and went to look for a place to have lunch.

"Tomorrow we go to Siena, and get to learn about the seven hills." Jemma said looking over the food in the window.

"I heard Siena is more gothic, it was an old trade route or something." Candice responded pointing at a sandwich and passing over 10 euros.

Jemma picked the one right next to it and Candice handed him another 2 euros to cover hers as well. Munching on it they walked back out into the plaza and to the steps of the Domo. The great doors towered above them, as they sat on the steps where names and symbols were carved into the marble.

"This place is breathtaking," Jemma commented.

"Think we will get by okay without knowing a lick of Italian?" Candice wondered taking another bite of her sandwich.

"Jeff was taking an Italian course. He said since I was planning everything the least he could do was be helpful. Especially knowing how terrible I am at learning new languages." Jemma admitted, it didn't hurt as much to talk about him like it had a few days ago.

They sat in silence for a moment until an Italian man walked by, handsome as the grass was green. Candice's eyebrows shot up and she gave him a through once over. A slow smile spread across her face as he gave her a charming smile.

"Hi. Oh, Jem, I don't need to know Italian, I speak seduction." Candice purred, smiling at him.

Jemma laughed, "You're an expert flirter no matter the country, Dis."

"You remember from high school," Candice said with a smirk as the man went out of view.

"And college." Jemma reminded her.

"Oh the good old years," Candice said standing to stretch, "Where are we off to now?"

"We are going to spend the rest of the day walking the Boboli Gardens and see the Palazzo Pitti that is on the same grounds," Jemma answered, glancing at her watch.

"How big are these gardens?" Candice asked standing and dusting off the back of her shorts.

"The grounds were personal gardens to the Medici family." Jemma said as she started to walk, a smile on her face.

"That doesn't seem like it will take that long." Candice said, catching up to Jemma in a few strides.

"The Medici family was longest ruling family ever in Florence and one of the wealthiest. They built a garden that matched their status." Jemma said pulling out a map and unfolding it.

Candice groaned, "I thought this was a vacation not a hiking expedition!"

"You will stop whining the instant you seem them." Jemma assured her because it was being the first part of September meant all the flowers would be in bloom and at their full height. In a month they would all be gone. She had timed it that way.