Chapter 14; Blood Ties

After the orders had been given out to each member of the team, I turn and grab a small bag for myself. Unzipping it quickly as to check that all the necessary items were still present inside, before looking to each of my team mates with a frown. "You guys ready to get going?" I ask, shouldering the bag onto my arms and standing up quickly.

Russell only nods, concentrating on something else as he tapped away on the iPad settled on his lap. Barely giving me a sideways glance, as he was probably figuring something or other out on the small device.

The mans long auburn coloured fringe covering his eyes slightly, but he didn't seem to notice as he glanced at the screen. The words of the men and women around him were lost to him. He had a task at hand, and wild horses wouldn't have been able to pull him away from that screen at this moment in time.

Lisa, grinned slightly brushing away her strawberry blonde hair behind her shoulders, in a gesture of forced elegance. She swirled around in her chair to face us, from where she had been facing a computer screen for the time being. "Frankly, Elliot. I don't think any of us have been more ready in our lives, this is after all what we've been training to do for years." She reasoned, smiling but it wasn't hard to tell how nervous she really was on the inside. I could smell the fear protruding from each of them, but I'm sure had they each been werewolves. They would have been able to smell it from me as well.

Edward, the only one of us who was over the age of forty five, and therefore when we were feeling less kindly, gained the nickname grandpa. Nodded in agreement, leaning against one of the desks in a sign of impatience for us to get going. "Its hard not to agree with Lisa, I mean with all done smaller projects. Working with the CIA, but this is arguably the biggest thing that any of us are going to do. And no offense Elliot, but I'm not talking about finding your rogue kidnapper. I intend to get back here. We'll never hear the end of it from James and Megan if we miss all of the action."

Despite the joke to his words, there was a tone of careful caution to his words. We would be kidding ourselves if we thought that this would be an easy task. We'd be lucky if we all made it out alive.

That went for me as well, it would be amazingly difficult to be able to get out of this battle unscathed. Those who I would be fighting against, would be better trained then I. Who hadn't received training in the form of my wolf for probably fourteen years. But I had one thing, that they did not. A reason to fight. A true reason anyway.

Now I find myself looking from one person's face to the other, none of them seem to notice as they busy themselves with something or other. But a sinking feeling hits me, when I realise that this might be the last time that I see any of them. The last time I would see Paula's smirk, or hear a sarcastic comment from James, or the terrifying optimism that always accompanied Megan's voice. It was strange to think that I would never be able to see this almost every day of my life.

In the darkest parts of my life, before Evelyn, these people had been the only ones to help me keep my sanity. The one small thread that held me from losing all control to my wolf side, and they meant nearly as much to me as my family. No, they were family. Or at least the closest thing I had to one since I was seventeen.

All of a sudden I felt a wave of fear almost overwhelm me, and I had to struggle with it for a moment or two before I could think logically once again. I realised that, they might not see me either for the rest of their lives. That it could have been me who died, and the thought alone sent a shiver along my spine. Now was not the time for pessimistic thinking, I had two young children who right now, were depending on me to find them. Trying to convince my other side of this logical thinking, that there was a need for me to be strong for them, I could not allow my own fear to consume me. They too would be terrified right now.