Chapter 13; Survival Instinct

Author's Note:

Just in case anyone didn't know, I've been away in France for the past week, and that's why there hasn't been any updates. I will be updating a lot more regularly from now on. Sorry if I caused anyone any confusion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

His tone is calm and cool. He doesn't know. Is the first thought that runs through my mind, as I clench my fists at either side and try to keep my calmness. Pain sparks in my mind, as I realise that I have driven my teeth into my bottom lip enough to draw blood, just to stop myself from losing what little control I have left at this point.

"Kai." In contrast, my own tone is like ice. The coldness of it, makes a shiver run down my spine but I shake my head. Trying to rid the murderous thoughts that are running through my head, I had to keep calm. For the sake of everything that I cared about, I had to remain calm.

The moment of hesitation that passes nought but silence between the two phone lines. I wait, wondering what he might be thinking upon hearing my voice. Would he be scared, happy, nervous, I didn't know. But from the feeling of the wolf at the very surface of my skin, is proof enough for me what my own emotions are. They are running rampant, and it is my wolf's every wish and wim to find this man and tear out his jugular.

When he speaks once again, his tone is very different but at the same time unreadable. An emotion that I cant quite pick up on. Whatever the meaning behind it might be, it infuriates me and sends my blood boiling. "Hello Elliot, how can I help you on this fine day?"

It takes everything for me to restrain the growl which is making its way up from my voice box. The noise which results sounds like a pained cry which hurts even to produce. It is fitting however for the circumstances. "Don't play toy with me, you know why I am calling you." I reply as steadily as I can, all the same my voice shakes just a little.

Alpha Kai on the other end of the phone lets out a low and soft chuckle, "So you finally found it out then did you?" He asks, casually as one might have asked what the weather was going to be like that morning.

Growling lowly, I am sure that the phone is about to break in my hand as I clench onto it. As not to turn around and punch something, whether it be a wall, a pillow or a person who may be unfortunate enough to get in my way at this point in time. "Why the hell have you done this? What did I ever do to you, which made you want to ruin my entire life?" I snarl, the emotion clear in my tone as I struggle to keep a control of my slowly withering patience.

He chuckles contentedly, the sound was deep and without a second's worth of hesitation. The original fear has gone from his tone, and now he is steady once again as though nothing had happened. "You are so foolish, your youth is showing more and more with every second that passes. It is not you, Elliot. See the bigger picture. You are simply a pawn in the game of life, you just so happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. It is nothing personal." He tells me calmly, I can almost picture the grin on his face.

You have made it damned personal. I think to myself, but I do not word my thoughts aloud, for fear what I might have caused in result. "What do you mean?" I whisper. But neither fear or loss of control causes the quietness of my tone. Only because of the fact that every other ounce of energy I own is being put towards every effort in order not to set off running, not for a hunt or even a leisurely run. To kill.

Again the sound of his laugh is the only thing that goes down the line for a heart beat or two, and I wait as patiently as I can. When at last he speaks, all of the goose bumps across my arms are standing on their ends. I could have conducted electricity by the time that the sound of his voice begins once again.