Chapter 4; Of Monsters and Men

The journey to America seemed to fly by, I had brought my laptop and spent the entire time researching the area and making plans as to how this was going to go. I remain unnoticed by most, which is reassuring as I get on with my work and try not to make eye contact with anyone else on the change.

It was a little before 7pm that evening when I landed in New York, and I was quickly making my way towards the hotel in which I had booked a room for the next couple of days. It was the territory of a large local werewolf pack, but I hoped that I wouldn't be here long enough for them to think of me as a bother.

Once I was settled in my room, I had little time to relax and grow accustomed to my new surroundings however. Quickly I get changed into the suit that I had carefully folded into my case and pull out the ticket to the theatre the day before. It read; 'Of Monsters and Men' and I would be due at the Beacon Theatre in a little over an hour. However this would be no luxury visit.

I had gathered from the information provided by Alpha Robert, that the man I was to find and learn about from being here, would be at that very production later that day. All I would have to go on was the sketch I had been given, and a couple of other rough details that I had managed to find. Information had been found on less though, so I was feeling surprisingly optimistic about the evening's chances.

Brushing myself down and getting rid of some of the dust which had gathered on the tux from being inside of the suitcase, I sit up and glance towards the clock sitting on the wall nearby. 7.20, I had forty minutes to spare before I went to the theatre. I had some time to waste for once, and I wondered as to what I should do.

Glancing outside of the window onto the streets of new York, the wolf side of me wants me to go outside and explore the new surroundings. It had been a few days since I had last let my wolf out for a run, and the pair of us were becoming more and more restless from being confined. Even I am desperate for a run at this point, and it feels weird to be in completely new surroundings.

With a sigh, I stand up and make my way outside of the bedroom and onto the balcony, looking down at the park below me. It was small, but due to it being late few people were out and about in it. It would give me the opportune moment to be able to go for a run, to get rid of the excess energy running through my veins. It would take me ten minutes to get to the theatre, and that meant I would have half an hour to shift forms and run. Maybe even go for a short hunt, the idea alone excited me and I was quickly convinced by my wolf.

A moment or two later I was jogging down the stairs and out of the small hotel, I sprint across the street and to the park which was opposite it. Taking in a deep breath and enjoying the feeling of being full of fresh air, despite the busy city bustling around us. I take to the bushes and within moments I have shifted and I am standing in the form of my black north American wolf.

Taking a deep breath I look around, enjoying the freedom the less limiting form of my wolf gives me, and I take off running as fast as my paws would take me. Stretching out I soon find a small squirrel to chase, and run frantically after it until it disappears up a tree but I am undeterred and carry on running through the wooded area of the park. Keeping to the shadows as much as I possibly can, until I come across a piece of land which seems entirely deserted and I step out of the shade of the trees and into the moonlight

I realise that my tail is wagging from side to side at a frantic pace, like a pup leaving the den for the first time but I don't care. Thankfully no one is there to witness my show of childlike behaviour and I feel free. I lift my head to the sky, and let out a long howl to the moon, my only companion on this night, and I can almost feel its power flowing through my veins.

A little too quickly then I would have preferred, I realise that time has passed and that I need to return to my hotel room and change back into my suit. Looking once again at the full moon rising in the sky above my head, I whisper a goodbye under my breath. Knowing full well that this might have been the last time I see it in this form for a while, then turn and shift into my human form once again.