Family values

We stormed the house fists and heads held up high, it was time to fight back. When we burst into the house and heard murmurs, it was the voices of Darrell and Mum coming from the kitchen. Entering the room Sammy started by scolding Darrell,

"Shouldn't you be at work Darrell?" She said.

"Shouldn't you girls be at school?" He responded folding his arms.

"They're crazy, they've sent us home over nothing." She looked to me "show them the note June, this isn't the place we should be living. It full of crazies and bullies."

My Mum gave me a weak smile, "Let me see the note sweetie." She asked.

I handed the crumbled piece of paper over to her "it was really scary Mum. " I said "The others kids surrounded us and then the school pulled us into separate rooms and questioned us."

Mum scanned the note her eyes absorbing the words before her face fell. She passed the note to Darrell and put her hands over her mouth.

Sammy reached out her phone, "look at this too Mum, we saw what they made you do. It's horrific. It's not normal."

I could hear the sounds of the screaming bull echo in the kitchen. The slice of a knife and squish of soft living flesh. Mum howled covering her eyes turning away from the phone, from us.

"Witches" Darrell hissed. "Bad witches."

"I'm not surprised you're in with this insanity Darrell. I haven't seen you do any work here, you're a fucking cultist!" Screamed Sammy.

I walked over to Mum she was weeping and I tried to put my hand on her shoulder, "I don't feel safe here Mum. We should go back home." She flinched away a look of disappointment sank across her face.

"You broke the rules, you should have stayed away from the Night Drink." She gasped "you have to right this wrong."

"No!" Me and Sammy spoke in unison. "We've done nothing wrong."

Sammy with frantic hands showed more pictures as our Mum backed away shouting. "Stop. Stop this!" As me and Sammy screamed "look Mum look, we have to leave. They're the monsters look! Look!"

Darrell leapt forwards and wrestled the phone out of Sammy's hand. We kicked at him but he pushed us aside with ease clutching the phone in hand. "I got it! Get away from her."
He used Mum's rolling pin to smash the phone into pieces until the wooden pin cracked in half across the table. When he stopped Mum rushed to me and snatched my phone out of my pocket and threw it out the window. "I don't want those things in my house anymore." She screeched. She ran to our bedrooms we followed with Darrell letting the rolling pin scrap along the wall behind us.

"I want these out of my house" screamed Mum as she dug her hands into our wardrobes, dragging out all our clothes.  We tried to jump forwards but Darrell wrapped his huge arms around us. We squirmed but his grip only got tighter around our waists.

"Tomorrow you will have village clothes," spat Mum "you will be good girls and beg the land will forgive you. You will renounce the dark magic!"

"Stupid bitch" screamed Sammy while tears flowed down my cheeks. I begged "Mum. No. Don't" but she stormed out the room passing us with an air of rage. I looked out the window a few seconds later and I saw our clothes go up in flames our Mum standing there as they burned.

Darrell pushed us into our rooms and locked the doors from the outside. I tried for the windows but Mum pushed me back to the ground of my room. I tired again later but he and Mum were always out there waiting and stopping us from leaving our new prison. Ready to shout at us, cursing our names as witches.

I paced my room, there wasn't anything of my old life in here anymore, the wardrobe was bare and I had nothing left. I felt my pocket vibrate and I scrambled my hands to my sides. Then I remembered my phone was gone lost outside, it was just haunting me. I could hear Sammy's muffled shouting but our bedroom walls were too thick to hear her words.
For the first time I had no way to speak to her, for the first time I was alone. I looked in my mirror but saw a tired scared face staring back. Mascara running down its cheeks like a thick black ugly mud slide. I went to my bed and lay there hugging my sheets in tears until a heavy tiredness took over my body.