PART 1: Ch.3

/Alicia/

It is not until halfway down the staircase that the tension tightening my lungs begins to loosen its dizzying grip. I pause behind a thick pillar, coaxing my composure back to the surface. Here I stay hidden, practicing what suddenly feels like a lost art to my body- drawing steady breath. It takes a moment before the sensation no longer feels like a foreign act. Sorting out my thoughts, I allow myself to find solace in my own company and in my mind replay what happened.

A pit had opened up in the base of my being, a sucking vortex that snuffed from me all other senses but horror. Could it be true? Are these ghostly visions of me more than the facade I had made them out to be? My mind became obsessed with the image he had described until it was all I could see. Justus' description depicted an exact replica of what I saw in my sleep... but how? Standing tall, I pressed my face in front of his and glared as the solution was suddenly made clear by the resonating echo of my last question. There was a simple explanation for him saying such a thing, and the only one was this: to know of my night terrors Justus must've previously glanced through my nightly journal. A look of hurt befell his face at my accusation, one I interpreted as just another prop to support his lie. Before he could say another word I plowed myself a path around him and left him gaping in the hallway.

I shake my head, pulling myself back into the present, as soft footsteps pad behind me on the carpeted steps. When I turn around I face my little brother and suppress a snarl. Elevated by the step, his heavy face meets mine.

"Alicia," he began, "I didn't mean to offend. I don't understand why you're being like this."

Anger swelled within me once more at his words- he dares to violate my privacy, using the pages of my notes against me, and the source of my frustration eludes him still!

"Child you are!" hiss I, "Try as you might, you're nothing but a horrid child inside. Your polished look may fool everyone else, but I see the truth. You are a fraud, Justus, and I will not waste another second's thought on you."

Aggression tints his face, barely masked by his will to combat my venomous words and prove me wrong. He ground his teeth for a minute and said in a voice of steel, "Then with your pardon, miss, I shall take my leave. I trust you can find another gentleman more worthy than I to accompany you to the party. Excuse me."

Ducking past me, Justus silently continued his descent down the slender staircase to the gala below. With a softening gaze, I watch him as he passes me and let out a slow breath; sibling rivalry is such folly, and so beneath me. How could I ever allow myself to be distracted by it in the first place? I bury my contorted emotions deep within me, and smile spitefully. This is a party, and I am more determined than ever before to be the jewel of the ball. After all, social gatherings are much like a field of flowers, and I a butterfly. Who knows, amongst the gossip I may find myself tangled up with a string of suitors by the end of the night! Wouldn't that show Justus, I think with a mental hmph of finality.

By the time I come to the foot of the stairs the music has begun again and all has returned their attention to the celebration. The stringed band, though hardly audible at the moment, hums in the background as cheerful chatter largely overpowers the room.

I pause to examine the scene before me, never let it be said that mother can't host a party. She wasted not a cent on the fortune put into tonight, and the results spoke for themselves.

The chandelier that I thought would be a cliché touch, has somehow transformed itself. Where a silver umbrella of intertwined silver candelabra once hung, now dangles a golden fountain of fire. Surrounding the flames were layers of crystal. Stretching from the far ceiling above, light sparks off of the glimmering curtains and bask upon the glossy wooden flooring below.

I also note how mother took my comments on the pillars being too plain into consideration. Earlier they were nice enough, serving their purpose as supports for the second floor's balconies, but now the spaced white pillars are decorated with twirling fresh ivy.

Across the room long windows parallel the staircase. Framed by cascading red curtains the panes collectively reflect a holographic scene of a clear starry night sky instead of our small garden edge beyond. Though our small patch of green oasis is quaint, it wouldn't match the level of eloquence the rest of the gala had been raised to. Every inch of the room has been exaggerated to scream money and poise.

Every guest, in their dapper tailcoats and fetching gowns, all wear smiles born of a hearty laugh or from the jovial buzz of the atmosphere. Trained servers moved around them in the room like clockwork. They were dressed in black and white, copper lining the inside of their wear for that distinguishing pop. The women carried about colorful drinks in elegant tall glasses, the men catering finger foods of Lilly's choice.

Standing in the midst of a large group is a pale, but elated, Lilly with mother's proud arm draped around her shoulders. The crowd gathered around her is undoubtedly offering their congratulations and what wisdom they thought her worthy of. I smile slightly at the thought of joining the politics. Around such people, barons countesses and the like, every word must be carefully mulled over before spoken, lest you appear insensitive or under educated.

Instead, however, I decide that it would be quite sad if I were to cling to my mother's elbow all night, but I haven't a gentleman at mine either. A lady of my standing should always be accompanied at such events, and Justus relinquished himself the role tradition gave him as escort before even stepping onto the gala floor.

The image of reddish brown hair comes to mind- where ever did the young man room earlier go? I'm sure I've never seen him before, but as I look again I don't see him or any of the other Insitute boys. A shrill voice cuts into my thoughts, making me blink.

"Alicia, over here my dear, we've been waiting for you!" A girl in pale yellow gown waved her fan at me from a distance, Victoria. With her blond hair pinned up I hadn't recognized her. Of course it is Victoria who calls me forward, a social elite she is. I shrug inwardly, I suppose fraternizing with the competition can't be any worse than stoically standing here all night. Besides, I smile, yellow isn't quite her color and next to her how could I possibly go unnoticed.