Chapter 23: Prayin' Won't Do You No Good

"Are you sure we're doing the right thing?" Tabitha asked her older brother again.

Dean sighed, but the silence was shattered by the sounds of their younger brother calling out to them from the basement, begging them to let him go as he pounded on the walls. "You really want to keep letting him get strung out like this?" he pointedly asked.

Bobby walked into the living room with three tumblers of whiskey, handing one to each of the siblings. He opened his mouth to say something, but stopped when Sam let out a particularly loud and pained sounding scream.

"How long is this gonna go on?" Dean helplessly wondered.

Bobby took a seat at his desk, and then after taking a long sip, leaned forward as though to reach for something. "Here, let me look it up in my demon-detox manual." His hand fell away as he sarcastically finished with, "Oh, wait. No one ever wrote one."

Tabitha cringed as Sam let out yet another painful scream. "I don't think now is the time for humor, Bobby," she chided in a soft tone as she sank bonelessly into a chair next to the cluttered desk.

With a little nod, Bobby came back with, "No telling how long it'll take. Hell, or if Sam will even live through it."

Both siblings looked up to give Bobby dirty looks for voicing something they all feared, but before Tabitha could scold him again, the older hunter's phone rang.

Picking it up, Bobby answered with, "Hello?" He paused and then calmly but sharply replied, "Suck dirt and die, Rufus. You call me again, I'll kill you."

Tabitha grimly shook her head as Bobby slammed the phone back in the cradle. She'd never met Rufus in person, but had talked to him plenty, and had always had the feeling that he was as cantankerous as Bobby was, so she reminded herself that she shouldn't be surprised at them apparently sniping at each other.

"What's up with Rufus?" Dean asked.

"He knows," Bobby insisted.

Smiling a little, despite their circumstances, Tabitha told Bobby, "I really shouldn't be surprised I guess about two crotchety old men getting pissy with each other, but is it really necessary? I mean, especially now?"

Bobby looked over at her with narrowed eyes. "What do you know about Rufus?"

With a little shrug, she admitted, "I've never met him. Just talked to him on the phone. When I was still working for the FBI, and regularly in touch with hunters looking for information, Rufus would sometimes call me and ask me to pass on one case or another to one of those guys. I always wondered why he wasn't calling you with the information, but if this is how the two of you play together, I can see why now."

Bobby opened his mouth to say something, but stopped when Tabitha's cellphone began ringing in her pocket. She dug it out, and hesitated when she didn't immediately recognize the number, but still reluctantly answered. "Hello?"

"Tabitha? This is Rufus. I've got some information for you, and that bearded redneck of yours won't listen to me, so I want you to pass it on to him."

"To Bobby?" she clarified.

"Yeah, I know you're there with that old coot. Or do you know more than one bearded redneck? And you tell that grizzly, flannel wearing old man that he can kiss my leathery—"

"Whoa, whoa there," she quickly cut him off. "I don't need to be put in the middle of your Grumpy Old Men, pissing match." She closed her eyes and rubbed her temples to avoid the angry glares Bobby was giving either her or her phone—which one was a tossup. "What did you call to say, Rufus?"