Chapter 21: Gazing Into the Abyss

A/N: I've started adding more goodies to the chapters I post on my blog, as well as music when appropriate, so if you're interested, check out this story there to get a lot more out of this chapter!

http://sarifina85.wordpress.com/supernatural-fanfiction/nobody-in-particular/

Chapter 21: Gazing Into the Abyss

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

Tabitha and her brothers approached the man behind the counter of the comic book store. He looked up in surprise and suspiciously looked them all over, his eyes lingering a little longer on Tabitha as they each pulled out their badges.

"Uh…can I help you?" the man asked with a raised brow. From his balding head, thick glasses, and stained sweatshirt, Tabitha was guessing that he lived in his mother's basement. Or maybe above her garage. She glanced around the store, thinking that at least he seemed to fit in with his clientele.

Dean spoke for them. "Sure hope so. Agents DeYoung, Shaw, and Bullock. Just need to ask you a few questions."

Sam immediately began the rapid-fire. "Notice anything strange in the building last couple of days?"

"Like what?"

"Well, some other tenants reported flickering lights," Dean replied.

Still with a confused look, the man stammered, "Uh…I don't think so. Why?"

"What about noises? Any skittering in the walls? Kinda like rats?" Sam continued.

Tabitha looked away and rolled her eyes. She needed to give her brothers a refresher course on interview protocol. They weren't even trying to not sound crazy.

The short man on his stool behind the counter seemed to think so, too. "And the FBI is investigating a rodent problem?" he dubiously asked.

"What about cold spots?" Sam asked without slowing down. "Feel any sudden drops in temperature?"

A look of dawning realization came over the chubby man's face, his round and scruffy cheeks pulling up into a smile that was surprisingly…cute…for a chubby little man.

"I knew it!" the man exclaimed. "You guys are LARPing, aren't you?"

Tabitha immediately cringed. That was a new one to be accused of, but she knew her brothers weren't being careful enough. The FBI side of her wanted to lash out at being accused of role-playing, though.

"Excuse me," Dean immediately responded.

"You're fans."

"Fans of what?" Sam demanded.

Dean followed up with, "What is 'LARPing?'"

The man grinned. "Like you don't know."

Both Sam and Dean stared at the man in confusion, while Tabitha shook her head in frustration. Pushing past her brothers, she leaned against the counter, looking the man in the eye as she told him, "Look, these two are new to the team, so they can come off a little dense, but I assure you, we are not role-playing or doing fantasy dress-up."

"You're kidding, right?" the man asked, swallowing as he slowly leaned back away from Tabitha's intensity.

She pulled her badge out again, slapping it on the counter as she said, "I am Special Agent Annie Mae Bullock with the FBI. And that's a real badge." She pulled her coat and suit jacket aside, displaying her Glock in its holster on her hip. "And that's a real gun. Do I look like I'm kidding you?"