The Son of Magic

Bringing four demigods to a seminar wasn't Alex's idea. But when Chiron made it mandatory for him to take at least two companions, he was bound to sort out his privacy issues.

Michael Kahale was chosen since he was a Roman demigod, and hence, was able to convince other Romans to help with the search, their camp being nearer to Utah. While Khione volunteered for the task claiming that she had some venti friends in Salt Lake that could help.

It didn't go as good as planned. Due to Alex's intention of killing their praetors, the Romans saw him as a threat and were reluctant to help. According to Dakota, they wasted most of the time in a Senate Meeting before he and Leila were selected to travel to Salt Lake City. With the little time they got before Alex, Michael and Khione arrived, they only managed to scan the city for any divine presence, concluding that if there was a demigod, he probably was well-hidden under the Mist. Khione contacted the said wind spirits, who informed that there was indeed something unusual in Red Lion Hotel in Salt Lake Downtown.

And that's how all of them reached Hotel Red Lion. The large event board notified them about a seminar taking place tonight. And now, they were sitting among the audience, waiting for some demigod to show up.

"It's a mother asking for your help, Alexander." the goddess had told him. "Help my son redeem himself, and he'll help you win your fight."

From the details the goddess had given about her son, Alex wasn't sure if he would be able to convince the boy. The demigod hated the Olympians, why would he take a part in saving them! But still, Alex was clear about one thing: he needed the boy.

Hazel of his time had become a powerful sorceress, on the level of Circe and Medea. Felicia had a little knowledge of Egyptian magic, but that was it! They would be needing a much powerful wizard at their disposal. And who can be better at magic than....

Alex was dragged out of his thoughts when the anchor made an announcement, "Now, I'd like to call forth Mr Alabaster C. Torrington-"

"It's him!" Alex gasped.

"What?" Khione asked. "How do you know?"

"The Son of Hecate!" Alex muttered. "I have read his name in Chiron's old list of campers. It makes sense."

"What are you talking about?" Khione asked.

"Last night when I talked to Chiron about the events of Brooklyn, he gave me a list of campers from the days before the Titan War." Alex explained. "This boy's name was under the Hermes cabin, so I neglected it. But there were only twelve cabins back then and all the children of minor gods were placed there. Obviously, Alabaster was one of them."

"And?" Khione asked.

"And he joined Kronos because his mother was upset for not getting recognition." Alex continued. "He led his siblings into battle. After the war, Hecate was given amnesty, but Alabaster was adamant to continue the war, and hence, was exiled."

Khione stared wide-eyed. "You got some brilliant detective skills, Sherlock! I'm impressed. Now what?"

"Can you drop the temperature around him?" Alex asked.

"Sure," Khione answered, "but why?"

"He's a demigod." Alex replied. "And a renegade. Anything unusual means danger for him. I want him to feel threatened."

Khione nodded and started her weather magic. As Alex had expected, Alabaster did look nervous, but he didn't move from the podium. Instead, Alex noticed a faint green glow around his hands.

"He's using magic to counteract you." he stated to Khione.

"Now what?" Khione asked.

"Keep doing what you are doing." Alex replied, raising his hand up.